Medium, New York, NY USA
Work at Medium
Salary: Competitive with benefits
Level: Executive (Director, VP, Department Head)
Medium has launched a collection of subscription-based publications that cover politics, technology, wellness, and other subjects with the goal to serve readers, not advertisers. Marker is our publication built for savvy readers who want an edge in the world of entrepreneurship and business.
The right editorial leader for Marker is someone with a sophisticated understanding of the business and start-up worlds, who is forward-thinking and energetic, and who has a unique vision for this original, ambitious, must-read publication for people interested in those topics.
The ideal EIC has a keen eye for the ideas and trends shaping a changing business world. This person will guide coverage ranging from company deep dives and CEO interviews to sophisticated analysis and reporting. The ideal candidate has experience overseeing editorial teams, is an inspiring leader, has an extensive network of experts, business leaders, writers and editors. This person must be ready to get their hands dirty (and have fun!) growing something new.
This person must love to think about all things business related (and beyond) and have a sixth sense for what the readers of Marker want and need. They must know the competitive landscape of business and entrepreneurship publications and have great ideas about how to set Marker apart. They will publish smart and well-reported stories and perspectives that make readers smarter about the future of business.
The right person for this role should also feel comfortable being the face of a brand internally and externally, on social networks, at industry events, and in media interviews.
What will you do?
- Ensure consistent excellence in story assignment and execution
- Lead a team of talented and ambitious writers and editors
- Oversee the publication of several stories per day, from timely analysis and commentary to long-form features
- Identify trends and changes in the worlds of business and entrepreneurship
- Liaise with design and editorial leadership on the creative execution and packaging of stories
- Use a combination of data-driven insights and editorial judgment to refine editorial strategy over time
- Be accountable for the publication’s budget
- Liaise with audience development and marketing on various promotional efforts, from newsletter and social media strategy to readership and subscriber trends
- Represent Marker inside and outside of Medium
- Bring good ideas to work every day
Who are you?
- You have 10+ years of editing experience, with several years managing editors and writers
- You are passionate about great storytelling, sophisticated business analysis, and are a stickler for top-tier editorial standards and quality prose
- You have a big-picture vision of what this publication should cover and specific story ideas that reflect that vision
- You are intellectually curious and display excellent taste and judgment
- You are comfortable working in a startup environment, where speed, flexibility and experimentation are part of the day-to-day culture
- You are a positive, straightforward, and effective communicator
- You like working on a team and can help improve other people’s ideas through collaboration and brainstorming
- You believe that good stories can come from anywhere
At Medium, we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun yet challenging team environment. We value having a team that is made up of a diverse set of backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of digital media. Medium is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested? We'd love to hear from you.
This position can be based in either New York or San Francisco.
Medium’s mission is to help people deepen their understanding of the world and discover ideas that matter. We are building a place where ideas are judged on the value they provide to readers, not the fleeting attention they can attract for advertisers. We are creating the best place for reading and writing on the internet—a place where today’s smartest writers, thinkers, experts, and storytellers can share big, interesting ideas.
Want to learn more about Medium? Visit Medium's website.
We produce and distribute content through some of the world’s leading and most valued brands