Digital Designer, Garden for Wildlife
National Wildlife Federation, Reston, VA
Work at National Wildlife Federation
The National Wildlife Federation is America's largest and most trusted grassroots conservation organization with 53 state/territorial affiliates and more than six million members and supporters, including hunters, anglers, gardeners, birders, hikers, campers, paddlers, and outdoor enthusiasts of all ages and stripes. The mission of the National Wildlife Federation is to unite all Americans to ensure wildlife thrive in our rapidly changing world. We advance this mission through programming focused on conserving wildlife, restoring habitats and waterways, expanding outdoor opportunities, connecting children with nature, advancing environmental justice, and addressing the causes and consequences of climate change.
Garden for Wildlife is an initiative within National Wildlife Federation that aims to revolutionize the way people plant so that, together, we can reverse a declining trend among important backyard wildlife species (think butterflies, birds, and bees). It sounds like a lofty goal but it’s actually very doable. The key is to get people to plant native plants. Unfortunately, this solution isn’t well-known and native plants aren’t always easy to find. Insert lightbulb emoji… We identified the plants that help the highest numbers of wildlife species, based on science, and we partnered with sustainable growers to provide those plants. We sell these native plant collections on our website and we ship directly to our customers’ doorstep. Ultimately, we make it easier than ever for anyone—whether a first-timer or the greenest of thumbs—to garden for wildlife and make a real impact. It’s a unique business model, and we’re sharply focused on success, which leads to an exciting startup-like feeling business environment for our team within the larger organization of National Wildlife Federation.
Effectively conveying our messages visually across our marketing channels will be critical to our success and we are looking for a creative digital designer to lead these efforts. You will be responsible for bringing the Garden for Wildlife brand, mission, and products to life through multi-channel digital marketing creative that targets new and existing audiences. The position reports to the Garden for Wildlife Director of Marketing. This position can be based at NWF’s headquarters’ location in Reston, VA or it can be a remote position. We provide the tools and technology support so that you can work from almost anywhere. We encourage working in spaces that help you generate ideas and support your well-being while working. Due to COVID-19 all employees are working remotely until we make return to work decisions.
Your major responsibilities:
- Produce effective and on-brand creative for Garden for Wildlife across digital channels in alignment with strategic marketing plan and objectives.
- Ensure consistency of brand (look and feel) across all digital touch points.
Detailed responsibilities include:
- Design/produce graphics for all Garden for Wildlife web properties, product graphics, marketing landing pages, email campaigns and templates, social media graphics, static and rich digital banner ads.
- Work with other members of the Garden for Wildlife Marketing team (Director, and Marketing Manager) to translate and create marketing requirements into compelling campaigns and designs.
- Leverage market research, customer feedback/usability findings, and offline/online marketing strategies to optimize designs and user experience.
- Collaborate with product/dev teams on wireframes/UX/UI; also working with web team to ensure aesthetics are aligned with usability, accessibility, and web standards.
- Work with developers to ensure proper implementation with a web environment and ensure consistent and integrity of the creative vision.
- Support Web team with images/assets needed for website updates, new product launches, and A/B testing.
- Actively contribute to brainstorming sessions and the ideation of emerging projects.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent
- At least 2+ years of web design experience in a professional environment and a keen eye for design
- Expert knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (and/or Sketch, Figma, XD, or similar)
- Maintain an understanding of emerging marketing and creative trends, best practices, and processes
- E-commerce experience
- UX/UI digital product design experience
- Ability to edit multimedia, motion graphics, animation, and rendering software
- Experience working directly with developers for implementation of designs
- Design experience marketing plants and horticultural products a plus
- Passion for telling stories/conveying messages in creative ways through visual design
- Customer/user-centered mentality
- Entrepreneurial, resourceful, and growth mind-set; self-starter
- Comfortable working in a rapidly-changing, fast-paced environment
- An enthusiasm for tackling challenges and making an impact
- Respond effectively to feedback
- Excellent communication skills, strong attention to detail, and solid time- and task-management abilities
- Decisive in the face of evolving requirements
- Interest and passion for conservation, wildlife, and/or gardening, or a desire to grow and learn more about the topics
Once COVID restrictions are lifted there may be travel, approximately one to two trips per year.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Candidates should submit a resume and cover letter along with a link to your online creative portfolio.
The salary range for this position is currently $55,000-$70,000 annually, dependent upon qualifications and experience.
The National Wildlife Federation values work-life balance and a family-friendly atmosphere. Our paid time-off includes 3 weeks of vacation leave, open wellbeing leave, 10 paid holidays, 3 floating holidays, a week-long winter break, and additional leave options, per year. In addition, our benefits package includes medical, dental, and vision insurance, company paid life insurance, AD&D, short and long-term disability, 16 weeks of paid FMLA leave, 403b retirement plan with employer matching and annual contribution, adoption benefits, and flexible work options including telecommuting, non-traditional work hours, and compressed work weeks. Applicants are invited to learn more about National Wildlife Federation’s benefits package at https://www.nwf.org/About-Us/Careers.
We strive to increase diversity, equity, inclusion and justice (DEIJ) in all elements of our work and with our partners to support the interdependent needs of wildlife and people in a rapidly changing world. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote regardless of race, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, genetic information, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are invited to learn more about National Wildlife Federation’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion at nwf.org/equity.
If you have a disability and require an accommodation or assistance with our online application process, please tell us how we can help by calling us at 703-438-6244.
The requirements listed in our job descriptions are guidelines, not hard and fast rules, and if you have 75% of the qualifications listed we encourage you to apply. Your experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work, which helps build the competencies, knowledge, and skills that translates directly to our openings. Applying gives you the opportunity to be considered.
If selected for this position, a background check will be conducted.
About National Wildlife Federation
Create the extraordinary.