Sr Director, Data Science
NBCUniversal, LLC, New York, NY
Create the extraordinary.
The Corporate Decision Sciences group at NBCUniversal helps drive advanced analytics by building and integrating pragmatic data science principles and products throughout the Company. The group focuses primarily on decision science analyses to support and inform strategy and key business decisions, as well as building advanced data products to help support data-enhanced decision-making.
The Senior Director of Data Science will lead a team of Data Scientists that focus on the design and execution of advanced data exploration, data mining, inference and prediction of multiple traditional and non-traditional media measurement data sets. The Senior Director, Corporate Data Sciences will work closely with internal clients, Data Scientists, Data Engineers, and IT across all NBCUniversal businesses. The position reports to the VP, Corporate Data Sciences.
- Lead and manage a team of Data Scientists in the development of high-impact tools for ad hoc projects and on-going operational analytic platforms
- Partner with business leaders across NBCUniversal to identify, build, and implement capabilities to leverage advanced data science within enterprise level decision-making ecosystems
- Convert business requirements to plans with well-defined objectives, timelines and responsibilities for the team and successfully execute against them
- Collaborate with our Data Engineering team to select the appropriate tools for each project, and fully exploit methods and algorithms developed for other tools and projects
- Function as a translator of complex problems and solutions across technical, business and executive units at all levels of the organization
- Manage multiple priorities across a mix of ad hoc and operational projects
- Think critically about data and the appropriate pairings of uses cases and data
- Drive the collection and manipulation of new data and the refinement of existing data sources
- Experience enabling and supporting enterprise-wide transformation with advanced analytics
- Advanced Degree (PhD strongly preferred) with a specialization in Statistics, Computer Science, Data Science, Economics, Mathematics, Operations Research, or other equivalent quantitative fields
- 7+ years of experience in Data Science, advanced analytics or similar experience in academia applying statistical methods and machine learning techniques with high levels of proficiency
- 4+ years of experience managing a high-performing team under tight deadlines
- Deep theoretical knowledge of statistical science, and experience applying advanced methods for inference and prediction
- 2+ years of experience with data visualization techniques and concepts
- 1+ years of experience using relational databases and SQL
- Expert knowledge of R and Python, additional languages (i.e., Julia, Java, Scala) a plus
- Experience using cluster computing environments and Spark, Hive and/or Hadoop a bonus
- Team-oriented and collaborative approach with a demonstrated aptitude and willingness to learn new methods and tools
- Excellent communication skills with all levels of employees and management
- Ability to manage, motivate and set clear goals for a high performing team
- Experience with multi-billion record datasets and leading projects that span the disciplines of data science and data engineering
- Experience with television ratings and digital measurement tools (Nielsen, Rentrak, comScore, Omniture, etc.)
About NBCUniversal, LLC
NBCUniversal owns and operates over 20 different businesses across 30 countries including a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, world-renowned theme parks and a premium ad-supported streaming service.
Here you can be your authentic self. As a company uniquely positioned to educate, entertain and empower through our platforms, Comcast NBCUniversal stands for including everyone. We strive to foster a diverse and inclusive culture where our employees feel supported, embraced and heard. We believe that our workforce should represent the communities we live in, so that together, we can continue to create and deliver content that reflects the current and ever-changing face of the world. Learn more about Comcast NBCUniversal’s commitment and how we are making an impact.
Visit NBCUniversal Careers.
Want to learn more about NBCUniversal, LLC? Visit NBCUniversal, LLC's website.
We produce and distribute content through some of the world’s leading and most valued brands