DreamWorks Feature - Head of Story
NBCUniversal, LLC, Glendale, California
Create the extraordinary.
Level: Manager (Supervisor)
The Head of Story is the creative leader of the storyboarding department. They must work closely with the Directors, Writers and Producers to build the movie on storyboards. They are responsible for leading, mentoring, and giving clear direction to a team of storyboard artists. They must have animation storyboarding experience with an emphasis on character personalities and story structure. A sense of filmic staging with an ability to offer creative solutions to story problems is also essential.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Supervises the storyboarding team.
- Involved in story concept development and story structure.
- Involved in script discussions as needed.
- Involved in story sequence development.
- Director’s proxy to the Story Artists when Directors are not available.
- Draw up storyboards with or without script pages.
- Offer creative input and original ideas to directors.
- May at times be asked to work with editorial to build storyboard reels.
- Present storyboards for artists who do not wish to pitch.
- May be asked to do perform fixes for sequences when other artists are not available.
- Ensure artists are clear on direction and address all notes in their boards.
- Supervise other story artist’s work to make sure it communicates the proper ideas in a clear and entertaining manner.
- Attend story pitches and launches.
- Acts as story representative during department meetings when needed.
- Determine assignments and exploration exercises for the story artists while waiting on script pages.
- Appropriately elevate issues and solutions to Associate Producer/Producer effectively.
- Work closely with the Production Supervisor in the management of the department and to create the schedule and ensure quotas/deadlines are met for both shots and sequences.
- Work with the Production Supervisor on casting shots/assignments to Story artists.
- Responsible for improving the performance of artists on the team. Mentor artists to provide guidance, experience and insight. Involved in trying to resolve performance related issues.
- Responsible with Production Supervisor for maintaining crew morale. Foster good working atmosphere and ethics.
- Deliver reviews with Production Supervisor to crew members; help manage career growth of staff; provide recommendations for promotions.
- Work with management in the casting and staffing of talent on the show.
- Help with recruiting and perform interviews. Ensure that Story new hires are provided the necessary training.
- Responsible for participation in the unification and initiatives for the studio.
- Facilitate meetings with artists to keep the crew informed on show changes and requirements.
- Ensure open lines of communication with other departments and department heads.
From the award-winning storytellers, artist and innovators at DreamWorks Animation and DreamWorks Animation Television come the beloved characters and stories that come alive on the big and small screens. From films like Shrek, How to Train Your Dragon and Trolls to original TV series including Trollhunters, Voltron and Home: Adventures with Tip & Oh, DreamWorks Animation continues to bring home the laughter, fun and courage to dream.
Visit www.dreamworksanimation.com to see our latest animated film and television productions.
DreamWorks is a division of NBCUniversal. At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
About NBCUniversal, LLC
We are one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production, and marketing of entertainment, news and information to a global audience.
NBCUniversal owns and operates a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, world-renowned theme parks, and a premium ad-supported streaming service. NBCUniversal is a subsidiary of Comcast Corporation.
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. We take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Join us.
Want to learn more about NBCUniversal, LLC? Visit NBCUniversal, LLC's website.
Create the extraordinary.