Director, User Experience & Design
NBCUniversal, LLC, New York, New York
Create the extraordinary.
Level: Manager (Supervisor)
NBCUniversal Owned Television Stations is looking for an exceptional design thinker to become our Director of User Experience and Design, reporting to the VP. This is an important, hands-on leadership role for someone looking to evangelize an ideal end-user experience over multiple form factors across several devices.
In this role, to build a world class experience for our portfolio you will collaborate with leaders across editorial, marketing, engineering, sales, business development and other cross functional teams. You will manage a team of highly skilled product designers who are focused on creating best-in-class products for our English and Spanish speaking audiences. The ideal candidate will have a passion for consumer-led design, technology and news (particularly local & sports) and is a collaborative, problem-solving leader with a knack for nurturing talented individuals and creating fun and challenging work environments.
You will direct and guide the user experience team, which designs and defines the optimal information architecture, flow, taxonomy, navigation, and other components for the digital experience.
- Provides leadership and guidance to build a top-quality user experience team by defining design vision, standards, guidelines, best practices, processes and determining how the user experience team interacts with other groups.
- Provides creative thought leadership and drives visual design by combining industry best practices with your expertise and insights about human behavior.
- Leads designers to work on more impactful work and helps neutralize barriers along the way while keeping eye on MDP (Minimal Delightful Product) vs MVP (Minimal Viable Product).
- Oversees the analysis and competitive research around the customer experience, collaborating with the Design Research team and Business Analytics. Ensures the implementation of research results to solve business problems and grow user engagement.
- Communicates and presents ideas, designs, and solutions to senior management, cross-functional teams and collaborates with stakeholders to advocate for “what’s best for the end-users”.
- Empowers designers to learn, and creates an environment that facilities shared learnings
- Leads design team in ideation, selection of tools, tuning design process, and concept explorations, as well as partner with Product Management, Engineering, and other internal partners to define the strategy and experience of consumer-facing products.
- Foster strong relationships with stakeholders, and effectively advocate for design strategy, product vision, and goals
- Encourage an inclusive and open environment that makes space for diverse viewpoints and different working styles.
- Recruit, mentor, and develop strong product and design teams
• Must have a Bachelors in design or similar field
• Has an ability to see the big picture and is a strategic thinker
• Experience working in a fast-paced, highly cross-functional organization
• Experience in usability, focus & A/B testing
• Passion for understanding audiences and their behavior
• 7+ years of experience working with design teams on products with complex user interfaces
• 3+ years of experience design and UX teams working across several form factors and devices (Desktop, Mobile Apps, OTT, and others)
• Proven ability to think out of the box, challenge the status quo while keeping user interest in mind
• Experience interacting with internal and external creative teams.
• Must have hands-on experience with all the modern design tools and working in Agile environment
Must have strong communication and presentation skills
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
About NBCUniversal, LLC
We are one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production, and marketing of entertainment, news and information to a global audience.
NBCUniversal owns and operates a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, world-renowned theme parks, and a premium ad-supported streaming service. NBCUniversal is a subsidiary of Comcast Corporation.
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. We take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Join us.
Want to learn more about NBCUniversal, LLC? Visit NBCUniversal, LLC's website.
Create the extraordinary.