DreamWorks TV - Director, Development Planning & Production
NBCUniversal, LLC, Glendale, California
Create the extraordinary.
Level: Manager (Supervisor)
The Director, Development Planning & Production is the liaison between Development and Physical Production and plays a key role in the process and planning of TV projects at the studio. This position is responsible for all preliminary budgets prior to series pitches that reflect both creative scope and financial goals of each series. The position also supervises the art development team, which manages the freelance hiring for 40+ projects in different stages of development. This position requires a self-motivated, organized, and flexible individual with unique problem solving abilities. This individual demonstrates an excellent ability to build relationships, motivate teams, drive deadlines, and problem solve issues related to both creative and production challenges.
- Partner with Development Teams and Creative Leadership to meet the creative goals of the various projects and create viable scenarios and schedules that accomplish creative and budgetary goals, and seek appropriate approvals from studio senior leadership
- Responsible for managing schedules and budgets for development exploration, pitch creation, animation slices, and/or other development assets
- Drive the development of the schedules and budgets for sold shows slated to go into Production
- Manage complexity by presenting and discussing core creative group with options in order to organize and prioritize the creative goals and execution plans
- Negotiate, hire, launch, manage extensions and completions for Independent Contractors, Union Daily Hires, etc. as required
- Identify and partner with animation studios across the globe
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Create budgets and schedules for upcoming series
- Under the guidance of the SVP of Production, partner with Development and Production Accounting to drive the series budget and schedule as a project moves into Production
- Sync with Physical Production on any external studios being considered for development work on projects, as well as potential production
- On a weekly basis work with Production Accountant to ensure the cost report is accurate and timely
- Schedule and drive Cost Report Meetings with Development Leadership, Physical Production and Production Accounting
- Partner with Recruiting and Creative Talent Management to prioritize and balance the feasibility of the work required across the Development Projects
- Partner with Recruiting to source, negotiate, hire and manage Independent Contractors and Union Daily Hires as required
- Drive the various Development hiring managers to make timely yet thoughtful hiring decisions that ensure that the staffing is balanced to meet creative and production goals
- Organize key information in order to ensure the launch of projects runs smoothly and efficiently
- Advise Production and/or Development of any potential problems or issues, particularly those impacting budget or schedule, and come prepared with strategic solutions
- Develop an approval workflow and ensure that the required work is reviewed by all relevant parties
- Ensure communication channels are open within the project(s) and that all relevant parties are aware of current status and goals
- Be transparent with the studio regarding pertinent issues and concerns with the projects in Development
- Invest and partner in series Production Manager and/or Production Supervisor to grow their management and production skillset
- Ensure that the team culture is one of timely feedback (with both positive praise and constructive criticism)
- Foster an environment of collaboration and an environment where mistakes are an opportunity for growth
- When relevant and appropriate, convey studio initiatives to direct reports and the crew
- Collaborate with stakeholders regarding space planning strategy and implementation for department specific needs
- Comprehensive knowledge of the animation production process, TV pipeline experience preferred
- Ability to assess and build multiple production/budget scenarios based on fluid assumptions and new production models
- Communicates clearly and ensures that the correct internal and external groups are provided timely updates
- Strong understanding of current show production budgets and associated production / cost levers
- Effectively communicates with respect and consideration with studio employees and Partner Studio(s) at all levels
- Knowledge of potential animation Partner Studios around the world
- Ability to work with remote crew and independent contractors
- Manage and drive multiple and diverse responsibilities with a strong emphasis on organization and an unwavering attention to detail at all times
- Work to and meet strict deadlines often under pressure
- Proactive and positive thinker, able to exercise good judgment
- Use discretion and maintain highly confidential information
- Owns tasks and drives through completion
From the award-winning storytellers, artist and innovators at DreamWorks Animation and DreamWorks Animation Television come the beloved characters and stories that come alive on the big and small screens. From films like Shrek, How to Train Your Dragon and Trolls to original TV series including Trollhunters, Voltron and Home: Adventures with Tip & Oh, DreamWorks Animation continues to bring home the laughter, fun and courage to dream.
Visit www.dreamworksanimation.com to see our latest animated film and television productions.
DreamWorks is a division of NBCUniversal. At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
About NBCUniversal, LLC
We are one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production, and marketing of entertainment, news and information to a global audience.
NBCUniversal owns and operates a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, world-renowned theme parks, and a premium ad-supported streaming service. NBCUniversal is a subsidiary of Comcast Corporation.
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. We take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Join us.
Want to learn more about NBCUniversal, LLC? Visit NBCUniversal, LLC's website.
Home of the world’s best books.