Senior Video Engineer, Video Engineering, Peacock
NBCUniversal, LLC, See List Below, Multiple Locations
Create the extraordinary.
Level: Manager (Supervisor)
At Peacock, the dynamic new streaming service from NBCUniversal you’ll find more than a job. Here you’ll find a fast-paced, high-flying team of unique birds who want to be at the epicenter of technology, sports, news, tv, movies and more. We work hard to connect people to what they love, each other and the world around them by creating shared experiences through culture-defining entertainment
As a company, we embrace the power of difference. Our team is committed to creating an organization that champions diversity and inclusivity for all by curating content and a workforce that represents the world around us. We continue to challenge ourselves and the industry by being customer-centric, data-driven creatures of innovation. At Peacock, we are determined to forge the next frontier of streaming through creativity, teamwork, and talent.
Here you can fly to new heights!
Senior Video Engineer
Peacock is looking for an experienced video engineer to join our team delivering high-quality video within the Playback Services team. You will become a part of a strong engineering culture, where the engineers work with software developers and technical architects to build and support live video workflows, delivering encoding and packaging solutions, managing origins, and streaming content to millions of customers.
Within Playback Services, the Video Engineering team builds and manages systems that deliver all content on Peacock, including 24x7 linear streams and major live events. So the reliability, quality, interoperability, and security of the content is of utmost importance. We need an engineer who is an expert in providing standards-based quality streams at scale.
You will play a major role in ensuring the quality and reliability of the live encoding and packaging space, ensuring consistency and quality against KPI. You will build solutions, test integrations, lead deployments, and monitor performance, working with the operations group and other technical teams to ensure consistent 24x7 monitoring. You will work closely with key vendors, developing solutions side by side, and you will embrace diversity as part of an inclusive and flexible workplace.
What the team does
Builds workflow and systems that encode, package, and deliver high-quality, reliable live video content at scale directly to consumer devices consistent with our world-class KPI
Builds tools that operators can use to manage live video streams 24x7
Collaborates with player and application teams to drive innovation and improvements in video delivery and playback user experience
Supports major consumer-facing launch events, including Peacock originals, movie events, and support for sporting events such as the Olympics
Using in-house and third-party tools, build and support the live and linear pipeline for Peacock video, optimizing video encoding, packaging, and delivery for CDN delivery
Provide Tier 2 support for Live events and Peacock Linear channels
Perform content and network captures and analysis for troubleshooting and solution design
Perform audio and video quality measurements
Use requirements gathering, data analysis and modeling to work with technology partners, site engineers, and vendors to design and implement smart technology solutions and tools for delivering premium quality audio and video experiences
Participate in POCs for emerging OTT video standards such as HDR10, Dolby Vision, low latency packaging, per-title encoding, and device-specific delivery
Manage and maintain cloud-based content delivery and services
Evangelise excellent engineering culture and best practices
Work closely with key vendors to ensure timely, high-quality feature delivery
Continuously learn, improve and optimise processes and ways of working
- Minimum six (6) years’ experience with live video workflows in cloud and on-prem/off-prem environments, cloud development experience will be strongly considered
- Expertise with web technologies, digital video workflow and operations, and digital video technology development
- Expertise with live video delivery, video origin architecture, and issues of scale for live video delivery
- Expertise with video capture tools including Charles Proxy, Telerik Fiddler, VLC, and browser developer tools
- Deep understanding of OTT standards including CMAF/HLS, DASH, SCTE 35, WebVTT, CEA 608/708, H.264/AVC, and H.265/HEVC
- Experience with live direct-to-consumer delivery solutions including, AVOD and SVOD
- Experience working with CDNs, and a basic understanding of CDN architecture concepts and strategies
- Experience with monitoring tools such as DataDog, Dataminer, Splunk, Telestream, Touchstream, etc.
- Experience with dynamic ad insertion technologies including client- and server-side architectures, decisioning services, and signaling methodologies including VAST/VMAP and SCTE standards (35, 67, 104, and 224)
- Broad knowledge of digital video production and delivery across multiple tools, including Avid, Signiant, Aspera, Drupal, Freewheel, Flash, HTML5
- Knowledge of OTT video delivery pipelines including basic networking concepts, source origination, video ingest and encoding, and packaging including encryption and DRM
- Comfort with the Agile Software Development Life Cycle
- Strong quantitative, analytical, debugging, problem solving, and decision-making skills
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
About NBCUniversal, LLC
We are one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production, and marketing of entertainment, news and information to a global audience.
NBCUniversal owns and operates a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, world-renowned theme parks, and a premium ad-supported streaming service. NBCUniversal is a subsidiary of Comcast Corporation.
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. We take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Join us.
Want to learn more about NBCUniversal, LLC? Visit NBCUniversal, LLC's website.
We produce and distribute content through some of the world’s leading and most valued brands