Senior Producer, NBC News Now
NBCUniversal, LLC, New York, New York
Create the extraordinary.
Level: Manager (Supervisor)
There are tens of millions of people who need the news but who don’t have cable. The Internet is great…Twitter, YouTube, Facebook, apps, websites all help but when the news breaks, I mean really breaks, a newsfeed just doesn’t quite cut it, does it? Facts happen in real-time, so the news should too. And text is for tomorrow when you’ve got a few minutes to spare. Video is for now.
Inventing a new channel requires a new kind of leadership. Creative, untethered to the tried and true but knows a best practice or two that’s worth following. Fearless, deeply journalistic, a story-teller, a coach, a ballplayer. Curious doesn’t even begin to describe you. Experienced? You’ve navigated the evolving media landscape, by being on the front-line … always pushing the envelope. A live news beast – who thrives in the control room. You’re a writer too you say?! Wow!
If inventing the future of news sounds like a good reason to get out of bed and go to work in the morning (and we mean really early in the morning), then take a look at the nitty gritty bullets below and get in touch. Resumes are helpful, sure, but seeing your work is what it’s all about. And if your current body of work so far doesn’t paint the right picture of you, then make us something else. But hurry. We’ve got a lot to do.
The bulk of the job:
- Figure out how we are going to approach the big stories of the day
- Captain the control room (it’s frenetic in there so if frenetic is not your thing, you should probably stop reading here)
- Help build rundowns for regular programming and rolling breaking-news coverage
- Identifying the right angles for reporter hits and guest segments
- Flagging the best elements - if it pops, we want it and we want your help finding it
- You're on top of the news. All the time. And eager to jump on it
- Make the scripts your producers write much better
- Help to define the voice of the network and then work with talent, reporters and producers to make sure they speak the language we invent fluently
- You’ll have a team of producers, APs, and PAs all looking to you for guidance, editing, and calm in a news storm
• Journalism (enough said)
• Demonstrated strength to manage a control room
• Must be willing to work in New York, NY
• Proven and demonstrated a nose for a story, the
research skills to report it, the writing skills to tell it, and
the news judgment to green light it or kill it
• Ability to work fast, but things get really good when news
is breaking and time to air is getting short
• 6+ years of your working life have been spent doing a job
that resembles this one – with ideally 2+ of those years
as a prior manager with being in and around a control
• When the news cycle calls you answer, even on
weekends or late nights or after you’ve already put in a
• You have big thoughts and the courage to voice them
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
About NBCUniversal, LLC
We are one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production, and marketing of entertainment, news and information to a global audience.
NBCUniversal owns and operates a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, world-renowned theme parks, and a premium ad-supported streaming service. NBCUniversal is a subsidiary of Comcast Corporation.
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. We take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Join us.
Want to learn more about NBCUniversal, LLC? Visit NBCUniversal, LLC's website.
Create the extraordinary.