Senior Evening Editor, TODAY Digital
NBCUniversal, LLC, See List Below, Multiple Locations
Create the extraordinary.
Level: Manager (Supervisor)
You will work Monday through Friday from 4pm-12am EST, lead coverage, manage a small team and have a lot of autonomy in the evening hours, which means you have impeccable news judgement and accuracy in your work.
- Oversee and manage a team of writers and editors for East Coast PM editorial coverage
- Assign and edit stories around the buzzy and trending stories that emerge on your shift. Work with writers to find interesting angles and elements to make a story sing
- Be obsessed with internet trends – pop culture, news you can use, and familiar with the wide range of content TODAY covers
- Copy edit stories, following the rules of AP Style and meticulously check for factual errors and typos before publishing
- Be ready and willing to quickly jump in and write a story
- Distill a story into its most shareable and searchable elements, with SEO-friendly headlines and keywords
- Speak fluent Instagram, Twitter and Facebook (extra points for TikTok!). You’ll be responsible for sharing work published in the evenings on social media, so you should have experience and be comfortable with identifying what will resonate with our audience. Be comfortable framing stories for and posting them to our social media platforms, identifying the content that will resonate with our audience and lend itself to being widely shared
- Find interesting and innovative stories – whether it’s the story everyone will be talking about that night (and into the next day) or an in-depth feature
- Coordinate with editors and producers on broadcast, site programming, and social team to assist in promotion or prep for the following day
• 7+ years of writing/editing experience in a newsroom
• Previous and proven experience of managing an editorial
team or writers and editors
• Expertise writing SEO and social headlines
• Experience posting and optimizing to social media
• Working knowledge of social, video production and
online publishing tools
• Can be based in New York or LA
• Have a gut instinct for a good story. You’re decisive on
angles and assignments, and you write in a fun, clear,
• Quick and accurate at all times: Typos drive you crazy.
Factual errors keep you up at night. You stay calm when
under pressure, think fast, and turn stories around
quickly and with no drama.
• Proactive – you’re constantly in search of an amazing
story that hasn’t been told.
• You’re obsessed with the latest trends on social media
and know how to turn those trends into shareable stories.
• Savvy with CrowdTangle, Domo and Chartbeat: You use
analytics to help guide story selection and pivot based on
• Armed with a positive attitude and an open mind. You’re
ready to tackle any and every story sent, regardless of
• Desire to work in a creative, demanding, competitive but
highly rewarding news environment.
• Be familiar with the TODAY brand.
NBCUniversal owns and operates over 20 different businesses across 30 countries including a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, world-renowned theme parks and a premium ad-supported streaming service.
Here you can be your authentic self. As a company uniquely positioned to educate, entertain and empower through our platforms, Comcast NBCUniversal stands for including everyone. We strive to foster a diverse and inclusive culture where our employees feel supported, embraced and heard. We believe that our workforce should represent the communities we live in, so that together, we can continue to create and deliver content that reflects the current and ever-changing face of the world. Click here to learn more about Comcast NBCUniversal’s commitment and how we are making an impact.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
About NBCUniversal, LLC
We are one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production, and marketing of entertainment, news and information to a global audience.
NBCUniversal owns and operates a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, world-renowned theme parks, and a premium ad-supported streaming service. NBCUniversal is a subsidiary of Comcast Corporation.
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. We take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Join us.
Want to learn more about NBCUniversal, LLC? Visit NBCUniversal, LLC's website.
Create the extraordinary.