Freelance Desk Editor-NBC Sports Chicago
NBCUniversal, LLC, Chicago, Illinois
Create the extraordinary.
OVERVIEW: Candidates for the Desk Editor must have strong skill sets centered around editing, storytelling and writing, plus an in-depth knowledge of local sports. The role includes day-to-day editorial maintenance and publishing of content to NBCSportsChicago.com. Good communication skills are vital for this fast-paced news environment. AP knowledge is a must.
- Edit digital content as part of a 24/7 sports news cycle, including editing copy, writing headlines and selecting complementary content such as photos and video.
- Assist writers publishing content to the MyTeams App
- Strong base of AP-Style writing skills
- Work with Drupal content management system to publish content
- Maintain the voice and demand of the fans as it pertains to sports news
- Push content to social media
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned
- Assist Cubs, White Sox, Bulls, Blackhawks and Bears content teams
- Bachelor’s Degree in journalism or related field, or relevant work experience
- 1+ years experience in packaging content for a digital audience, editing written content for publication, and headline writing for web/apps
- Demonstrated proficiency with Photoshop or other photo-editing software
Additional Job Requirements
- Interested candidate must submit a resume/CV through www.nbcunicareers.com to be considered
- Willingness to work overtime, nights, weekends and holidays
- Must be willing to work in Chicago, IL
- Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
- Must be 18 years or older
- It is the policy of NBCUniversal and NBCUniversal’ s affiliated businesses to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy) sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to work well on deadline
- Ability to multi-task and thrive in a high-pressure environment.
- Deep knowledge across all major American sports, including NBA, NFL, NHL and MLB
- Must be a team player
NBCUniversal Local is NBCUniversal’s local media division that delivers English and Spanish-speakers and bilingual audiences in 31 U.S. markets and Puerto Rico, the very best in local sports, news, weather, consumer and investigative reporting, and lifestyle
entertainment across any platform and screen. NBCUniversal Local is comprised of three individual media groups including the NBC Owned Television Stations, the NBC Sports Regional Networks and the Telemundo Station Group. The division is also home to multicast
networks NBCLX, COZI TV and TeleXitos, the regional cable news network NECN, as well as NBC Spot On, an advanced video advertising business designed for local/regional CTV and OTT advertisers and several in-house companies including production company LXTV,
marketing and promotions company Skycastle, its out-of-home business NBC Everywhere, and the Arthouse, a graphics design group. With seven regional sports networks and 42 NBC and Telemundo stations serving 38 percent of U.S. homes, NBCUniversal Local is the
only network-owned local media division that is home to the largest bilingual local newsrooms within the country’s top 10 TV markets. NBCUniversal Local’s stations and networks serve diverse audiences and communities across linear, streaming, OTT, digital web, mobile and audio, and cable platforms and work together to keep local audiences informed anytime and anywhere. For more information, visit NBCUniversal.com.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
About NBCUniversal, LLC
We are one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production, and marketing of entertainment, news and information to a global audience.
NBCUniversal owns and operates a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, world-renowned theme parks, and a premium ad-supported streaming service. NBCUniversal is a subsidiary of Comcast Corporation.
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. We take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Join us.
Want to learn more about NBCUniversal, LLC? Visit NBCUniversal, LLC's website.
Create the extraordinary.