Director, Data Engineering, Peacock
NBCUniversal, LLC, New York, New York
Create the extraordinary.
Level: Manager (Supervisor)
As a company, we embrace the power of difference. Our team is committed to creating an organization that champions diversity and inclusivity for all by curating content and a workforce that represents the world around us. We continue to challenge ourselves and the industry by being customer-centric, data-driven creatures of innovation. At Peacock, we are determined to forge the next frontier of streaming through creativity, teamwork, and talent.
Here you can fly to new heights!
As part of the Direct-to-Consumer Decision Sciences team, the Director of Data Engineering will be responsible for creating a connected data ecosystem that unleashes the power of our streaming data. We gather data from across all customer/prospect journeys in near real-time, to allow fast feedback loops across territories; combined with our strategic data platform, this data ecosystem is at the core of being able to make intelligent customer and business decisions.
In this role, the Director of Data Engineering will share responsibilities in the development and maintenance of an optimized and highly available data pipelines that facilitate deeper analysis and reporting by the business, as well as support ongoing operations related to the Direct to Consumer data ecosystem
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Manage a high-performance team of Data Engineers and contractors
- Contribute to and help lead teams in design, build, testing, scaling and maintaining data pipelines from a variety of source systems and streams (Internal, third party, cloud based, etc.), according to business and technical requirements.
- Maintain and enhance observable, reliable and secure software, with a focus on automation and GitOps.
- Continually work on improving the codebase and have active participation and oversight in all aspects of the team, including agile ceremonies.
- Take an active role in story definition, assisting business stakeholders with acceptance criteria.
- Work with other Principal Engineers and Architects to share and contribute to the broader technical vision.
- Develop and champion best practices, striving towards excellence and raising the bar within the department.
- Operationalize data processing systems (dev ops)
- Relevant experience in Data Engineering
- Experience of near Real Time & Batch Data Pipeline development in a similar Big Data Engineering role.
- Programming skills in one or more of the following: Python, Java, Scala and experience in writing reusable/efficient code to automate analysis and data processes
- Experience in processing structured and unstructured data into a form suitable for analysis and reporting with integration with a variety of data metric providers ranging from advertising, web analytics, and consumer devices
- Experience implementing scalable, distributed, and highly available systems using Google Cloud
- Hands on programming experience of the following (or similar) technologies: Apache Beam, Scio, Apache Spark, and Snowflake.
- Experience in progressive data application development, working in large scale/distributed SQL, NoSQL, and/or Hadoop environment.
- Develop data catalogs and data cleanliness to ensure clarity and correctness of key business metrics
- Experience building streaming data pipelines using Kafka, Spark or Flink
- Bachelors’ degree with a specialization in Computer Science, Engineering, Physics, other quantitative field or equivalent industry experience.
- Experience with graph-based data workflows using Apache Airflow
- Experience building and deploying ML pipelines: training models, feature development, regression testing
- Strong Test-Driven Development background, with understanding of levels of testing required to continuously deliver value to production.
- Experience with large-scale video assets
- Ability to work effectively across functions, disciplines, and levels
- Team-oriented and collaborative approach with a demonstrated aptitude, enthusiasm and willingness to learn new methods, tools, practices and skills
- Ability to recognize discordant views and take part in constructive dialogue to resolve them
- Pride and ownership in your work and confident representation of your team to other parts of the Organization
NBCUniversal owns and operates over 20 different businesses across 30 countries including a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, world-renowned theme parks and a premium ad-supported streaming service.
Here you can be your authentic self. As a company uniquely positioned to educate, entertain and empower through our platforms, Comcast NBCUniversal stands for including everyone. We strive to foster a diverse and inclusive culture where our employees feel supported, embraced and heard. We believe that our workforce should represent the communities we live in, so that together, we can continue to create and deliver content that reflects the current and ever-changing face of the world. Click here to learn more about Comcast NBCUniversal’s commitment and how we are making an impact.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
NBCUniversal is an equal opportunity employer and will provide reasonable accommodations as required by applicable federal, state, and/or local laws.
• Must pass a background investigation
• Must submit an attestation disclosing your COVID-19 vaccination status and, if partially or fully vaccinated, submitting your vaccination record no later than 7 days following commencement of employment.
• Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at the commencement of employment or adhere to enhanced protocols if Company determines your job position requires accessing an NBCUniversal worksite.
• Must be willing to adhere to all Company COVID-19 workplace safety policies and protocols.
- Experience with graph-based data workflows using Apache Airflow
About NBCUniversal, LLC
Here you can be your authentic self. As a company uniquely positioned to educate, entertain and empower through our platforms, Comcast NBCUniversal stands for including everyone. We strive to foster a diverse and inclusive culture where our employees feel supported, embraced and heard. We believe that our workforce should represent the communities we live in, so that together, we can continue to create and deliver content that reflects the current and ever-changing face of the world. Learn more about Comcast NBCUniversal’s commitment and how we are making an impact.
Visit NBCUniversal Careers.
Want to learn more about NBCUniversal, LLC? Visit NBCUniversal, LLC's website.
We produce and distribute content through some of the world’s leading and most valued brands