The Managing Editor will help craft and execute the strategic vision for all of our KXAS/KXTX news operations. The successful candidate will oversee daily news gathering, planning, budgeting, and execution, and possess a keen understanding of news cycles for broadcast and digital platforms, as well as an exceptional level of news judgment. The Managing Editor reports directly to the VP, News and spearheads the content planning and acquisition strategy. The managing editor must also assist in the planning and execution of streaming and nonlinear content. He or she must have the ability to foster teamwork and be an excellent collaborator. The ideal candidate would have experience in the Spanish language and General markets. The Managing Editor is responsible for keeping their hands on the pulse of the North Texas Community.
- Enterprise strong unique local content and meet deadlines.
- Communicate clear expectations for quality content and the needs of our audiences across all platforms.
- Help guide news staff in journalism best practices and content showcasing on all platforms.
- Oversee short-and long-term planning for content, both breaking news and enterprise, and drive team coverage of big breaking stories and severe weather.
- Coordinate breaking news coverage on all platforms.
- Plan and share content across platforms of TV and Digital.
- Plan and share content with news partners. Share resources when possible.
- Communicate individual and team goals clearly.
- Directly manage the assignments desk staff and a team of reporters.
- Motivate, coach, develop and keep staff focused to ensure excellent performance.
- Manage and review performance, and address quality and productivity performance issues.
- Create development plans to help staff embrace strengths and challenges, and share and grow their abilities.
- Coordinate anchor and reporter work schedules and requests for time off.
- Hold staff accountable for content that is balanced, fair, accurate and complete, incorporating where appropriate, a diverse range of sources.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in newsgathering, news production and/or news operations.
- Minimum 3 years management and leadership experience of functions and personnel.
- Interested candidate must submit a resume/CV through www.nbcunicareers.com to be considered
- Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
- Must be willing to work in Dallas/Fort Worth area just south of DFW airport
- Must be 18 years or older
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Must have the ability to work any of a 24 x 7 shift
- Must accept Solutions as NBCUniversal’s Alternative Dispute Resolution program
- Must submit an attestation disclosing COVID-19 vaccination status and, if partially or fully vaccinated, submitting vaccination record no later than 7 days following commencement of employment
• Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at the commencement of employment or adhere to enhanced protocols in select work settings or where jurisdictionally mandated.
• Must be willing to adhere to all Company COVID-19 workplace safety policies and protocols
· Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism or related broadcast field or equivalent experience
· Bilingual English/Spanish preferred
· Demonstrate strong management, leadership, communication, collaborative and customer service (internal and external) skills, and a passion for self-development
· Proactive, flexible, adaptable, energetic, organized, detailed oriented and able to multi-task and problem solve in a high-energy, fast-paced and constantly transforming environment.
· Proven ability to train as a subject matter expert.
· Proven ability to take a results-oriented approach to work and leverage resources for competitive advantage.
· Demonstrate a highly developed skill as a critical thinker to work with other managers and staff to spot reporting holes, bias and other issues.
· Possess an understanding of the technologies used in the newsroom including iNews, Stratus, News Ticker and various digital search tools.
· Proven ability to use time effectively, efficiently and productively, and meet deadlines.
· Proven ability to foster inclusion and diversity, and model company values.
NBCUniversal's policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access nbcunicareers.com as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations in the US by calling 1-818-777-4107 and in the UK by calling +44 2036185726.
About NBCUniversal, LLC
NBCUniversal owns and operates over 20 different businesses across 30 countries including a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, world-renowned theme parks and a premium ad-supported streaming service.
Here you can be your authentic self. As a company uniquely positioned to educate, entertain and empower through our platforms, Comcast NBCUniversal stands for including everyone. We strive to foster a diverse and inclusive culture where our employees feel supported, embraced and heard. We believe that our workforce should represent the communities we live in, so that together, we can continue to create and deliver content that reflects the current and ever-changing face of the world. Learn more about Comcast NBCUniversal’s commitment and how we are making an impact.
Visit NBCUniversal Careers.
Want to learn more about NBCUniversal, LLC? Visit NBCUniversal, LLC's website.
We produce and distribute content through some of the world’s leading and most valued brands