Assignment Desk/Digital Editor, Telemundo San Antonio
NBCUniversal, LLC, San Antonio TEXAS, US
Create the extraordinary.
• Assemble the daybook on Inception listing story ideas and daily newsworthy events
• Monitor police and emergency scanners and electronic/printed sources for news and disseminate the information to appropriate newsroom personnel
• Coordinate interviews and logistics for field crews
• Facilitate the news-gathering process and ensure comprehensive coverage of all news stories across all platforms, including, but not limited to broadcast, digital, and web
• Collaborate with producers, anchors, reporters, photographers, digital team, and other station personnel on a daily basis, to maximize resources and provide the best coverage during breaking news coverage and/or weather & emergency situations
• Participate in editorial meetings; develop interesting story ideas using strong editorial judgment
• Cultivate contacts important to news coverage in San Antonio & Nevada areas, including law enforcement
• Establish working relationships with Public Information Officers for updates on significant events and incidents
• Follow other local news channels to monitor their news coverage
• Produce & Assist with undercover special projects during sweeps
• Cooperate with and support news and online platforms as assigned
• Publishing of online content when required
• Plan news coverage as directed by news management
• Perform other duties as needed and as directed by news management
• Keep news managers and producers informed on the progress of new stories
• Answer phones and take notes on viewer calls for possible story leads
• Edit videos for broadcast & social media
• Create original articles, videos, and slideshows; gather original content from the local TV station’s newsroom and curate a wide variety of stories from other sources, including blogs, newspapers, online publications, and magazines.
• Oversee the content of home page, main pages, and subsections of the website.
• Actively engage the community through content.
• Experience in a Texas market and familiarity with Hispanic audience and communities is preferred
• Bachelor's degree in communications
• Prior experience as an assignment editor, assignment manager, web editor, or other related experience
• Solid news judgment, strong writing, and research skills
• Experience using online and social media resources as news researching tools (Accurint, LexisNexis, Facebook, Tweetdeck, social flow, and work press, etc.) • Bilingual: Excellent Spanish and English; both written and verbal
• Demonstrated ability to solve problems, prioritize decisions, act decisively, and successfully manage multiple assignments concurrently in a high-pressure, breaking news, environment
• Basic understanding and demonstration of solid editorial judgment and journalistic ethics, including current knowledge of laws of libel, slander, and applicable FCC rules and regulations
• Good collaborative and interpersonal skills to communicate at all levels
• Curiosity for content with an initiative to suggest stories with relevance for all markets.
• Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States.
• Must be willing to work overtime and on weekends with short notice.
• Must be willing to work at the station in the San Antonio location. • Must be at least 18 years of age
• Understanding of emerging news production techniques and technology
• Works well in a fast-paced, team environment
• Have an understanding of SEO practices.
• Works as needed when determined by news management
• Applicants must submit a resume/CV through www.nbcunicareers.com to be considered
· Must be willing to adhere to all Company COVID-19 workplace safety policies and protocols.
· In select work settings or where jurisdictionally mandated, must submit an attestation disclosing your COVID-19 vaccination status and be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or adhere to enhanced protocols.
• Working knowledge of digital media technology, particularly content-management tools.
• Video and photo editing skills preferred.
• Have the desire to work in a creative, demanding, and competitive environment.
NBCUniversal's policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access nbcunicareers.com as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations in the US by calling 1-818-777-4107 and in the UK by calling +44 2036185726.
About NBCUniversal, LLC
NBCUniversal owns and operates over 20 different businesses across 30 countries including a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, world-renowned theme parks and a premium ad-supported streaming service.
Here you can be your authentic self. As a company uniquely positioned to educate, entertain and empower through our platforms, Comcast NBCUniversal stands for including everyone. We strive to foster a diverse and inclusive culture where our employees feel supported, embraced and heard. We believe that our workforce should represent the communities we live in, so that together, we can continue to create and deliver content that reflects the current and ever-changing face of the world. Learn more about Comcast NBCUniversal’s commitment and how we are making an impact.
Visit NBCUniversal Careers.