Assignment Desk Editor - Telemundo Las Vegas
NBCUniversal, LLC, Las Vegas Nevada, US
Create the extraordinary.
The successful Assignment Editor candidate will be one who has strong news judgment and a vast and intricate knowledge of the Las Vegas DMA with the ability to lead and inspire a highly talented news staff to reach beyond established goals and who will perform these functions within the context of Company objectives, policies and procedures. This position will report directly to Executive Producer and News Director.
- Manage and recommend day-to-day news stories coverage, major events, sweeps and breaking news for the day’s newscasts.
- Recommends news stories to increase ratings and performance in key target areas across multiple platforms.
- Oversees news desk operations daily and identifies future story opportunities
- Must be present at all editorial meetings and conduct post-mortems for daily newscasts and insure follow through.
- Responsible for news desk development and in coordination with other news managers and their work groups
- Manages news desk recommendations and approves and presents ideas at editorial meeting
- Involved with aspects of news content for station’s web site and other new media outlets
- Ensures the daily goals and missions are executed.
- Evaluates workflow efficiencies at the news desk along defining editorial resources and expectations are clearly defined and met.
- Has working knowledge of federal, state, and local laws impacting newsroom operations and news
- Enforces newsroom’s policies and procedures, including deadlines and style
- Research, gather and coordinate news content and interviews for producers/talent and reporters.
- Timely assign, reassign photographers and reporters based on the breaking news events, operational needs and scheduling needs.
- Maintain beat check with community sources, police, fire etc.
- Be producer and writer when needed
- Work closely with Executive Producers, reporters on story sweeps planning and coordination.
- Constantly monitor emergency channels, news wires, competitors and news sources
- Answer and respond phone calls, emails, mail and other communication methods.
- Research and organize details and facts for story ideas and long term planning
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Proven ability to multi-task and work well under pressure and have the ability to train, coach, and motivate staff members in a positive way to advance their skills and bring out the very best in each of them.
- Advanced oral and written communication skills.
- Experience working with city officials and PIO’s and solid market knowledge and DMA
- High level of experience in technical expertise across emerging multi-media platforms.
- Good collaborative and interpersonal skills to communicate at all levels.
- Knowledgeable about FCC rules and laws pertaining to news broadcasting in multi-media platforms and employment and labor regulations.
- Possess strong writing, producing, creative, management and leadership skills.
- Must be creative, innovative, have an extremely hands on managing style, and be able to create and execute a winning strategy across multiple platforms.
- Must be a fierce competitor who plays to win.
- 3+ years experience in a news desk operations in related field including managerial experience of a mid-size team (5-15) of professional individuals.
- Minimum 2 years of experience working in Spanish market broadcast television.
- A degree in journalism or a closely related field is required.
- Bilingual (strong English/Spanish) required both written and verbal.
- Willingness and ability to work long hours, late nights and weekends as required.
- Ability to react quickly and urgently to breaking news
- Must be willing to submit to a background investigation
- Must be willing to adhere to all Company COVID-19 workplace safety policies and protocols.
- In select work settings or where jurisdictionally mandated, must submit an attestation disclosing your COVID-19 vaccination status and be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or adhere to enhanced protocols.
NBCUniversal's policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access nbcunicareers.com as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations in the US by calling 1-818-777-4107 and in the UK by calling +44 2036185726.
About NBCUniversal, LLC
NBCUniversal owns and operates over 20 different businesses across 30 countries including a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, world-renowned theme parks and a premium ad-supported streaming service.
Here you can be your authentic self. As a company uniquely positioned to educate, entertain and empower through our platforms, Comcast NBCUniversal stands for including everyone. We strive to foster a diverse and inclusive culture where our employees feel supported, embraced and heard. We believe that our workforce should represent the communities we live in, so that together, we can continue to create and deliver content that reflects the current and ever-changing face of the world. Learn more about Comcast NBCUniversal’s commitment and how we are making an impact.
Visit NBCUniversal Careers.
Want to learn more about NBCUniversal, LLC? Visit NBCUniversal, LLC's website.
We produce and distribute content through some of the world’s leading and most valued brands
Creative Jobs For You
Anchor Production Assistant, MSNBC on Peacock - The Mehdi Hasa...
NBCUniversal, LLC, Washington DC, US