New York City Center, New York, NY USA
Work at New York City Center
Salary: Exempt annual rate of $60,000
Salary min: $60,000
Level: Experienced (Non-Manager)
Job Overview: An integral member of the fast-paced Marketing & Communications team, the Copywriter is responsible for end-to-end creation and delivery of compelling original written content that brings the brand to life and simultaneously drives demand for upcoming dance and musical theater programming. Passionate about attracting new audiences, the Copywriter researches and identifies the hook that translates to compelling copy on the website, emails, postcards, blog, Playbill, etc. This position requires creativity and a love of words—executed with a keen attention to detail and a sense of ownership. The Copywriter is expected to demonstrate a passion for writing dance and theater promotional materials while upholding City Center’s mission and our commitment to be an anti-racist organization.
- Research, write, and edit copy for all City Center promotional materials, including print materials (brochures, postcards), web pages, emails, etc.
- Research, develop, commission, and edit articles for City Center’s Playbills, including interviews with artists, previews of upcoming programming, and articles about City Center history
- Work in collaboration with the Website Content Manager and Communications & Editorial Director to ensure all web content remains relevant and up to date
- Proactively identify updates to web content including creating legacy pages for past performances
- Create original written content for City Center’s blog and assist with content for social media channels
- Proofread all City Center-produced materials
- Work with multiple renters and resident companies to gather written and visual materials for City Center’s annual brochure, and then craft and edit copy
- Attend City Center events and performances
This Role Requires:
- Bachelor's degree with experience in performing arts promotional copywriting or similar field
- Knowledge and passion for dance and musical theater
- Ability to identify key messages and articulate compelling copy to engage a variety of audiences
- Impeccable grammar and effective communication skills
- Confidence with Microsoft 365, HTML, and InDesign a plus
To be successful in this role, you will be expected to demonstrate:
- Intellectual curiosity
- Creative thinking which results in solutions that escape others
- Works well with others and is someone people want to work with
- Deep appreciation for the performing arts and New York City Center
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced work environment
- Excellent time management skills and aptitude for balancing multiple projects at once
As a valued member of the City Center administrative team, you will receive:
- Exempt annual rate of $60,000
- Comprehensive insurance coverage (medical, dental, life, disability)
- Generous paid time off
- Pre-tax flexible & dependent care savings accounts
- Pre-tax transit savings
- Pension Plan with (CIG) Cultural Institutions Group (fully vested after 5 years)
- 401K retirement savings account
- Access to various dress rehearsals, performances, educational events, and professional development opportunities
- Email your resume and cover letter.
- Please include Copywriter in the subject line.
- In the cover letter, please include what attracts you to this position at City Center and how your previous experience and interest will help you be successful in this role.
- Please include two to three writing samples that demonstrate your versatility in writing for different audiences.
About New York City Center
Company Overview: New York City Center has played a defining role in the cultural life of the city since 1943—making the best in the music, theater, and dance accessible to all audiences. Championed by a staff of passionate arts lovers, this commitment continues through celebrated dance and musical theater series including the Fall for Dance Festival, the Tony-honored Encores!, and the newest series Artists at the Center and City Center Dance Festival. The distinctive neo-Moorish theater in midtown Manhattan welcomes over 300,000 annual visitors to experience internationally acclaimed artists on the same stage that legends like George Balanchine, Leonard Bernstein, Barbara Cook, Martha Graham, and Paul Robeson made their mark. Home to a roster of renowned companies including Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater and Manhattan Theatre Club, City Center’s dynamic programming, art exhibitions, studio events, and master classes, are complemented by education and community engagement programs that bring the performing arts to over 11,000 New York City students, teachers, and families each year.
Want to learn more about New York City Center? Visit New York City Center's website.
Create the extraordinary.