Newsday Media Group, Melville, NY - Corporate Center Drive
Work at Newsday Media Group
The Courts Reporter will cover stories and breaking news by cultivating diverse sources and building diverse audiences, working closely with editors to monitor metrics and apply the data to help inform coverage as we serve our loyal subscribers, seek new subscribers, and strive to better understand key audiences and topics. The beat encompasses Nassau-based courts, both state and federal, and the Nassau County District Attorney's Office. Beat coverage includes court cases of major community interest and impact, the DA's work and public safety issues that arise in state and federal courts. This reporter also is responsible for daily and weekend enterprise.
Essential Duties & Functions
- Find enterprise stories and report on Nassau County courts in relation to the assignment/beat.
- Use social media to find sources and stories to supplement our reporting and to communicate about the topic areas they cover.
- Alternative storytelling and visual storytelling, collaborating with our teams, including on Newsday TV coverage, are key growth areas, and reporters need to continue to develop skills in these areas.
Essential Job Knowledge & Skills
- Experience covering breaking news on deadline is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to break news, file quickly and accurately for all our platforms, meet tight deadlines, juggle more than one story at a time, cultivate sources, understand the importance of data-driven reporting, and produce high-profile enterprise stories.
- A self-starter who can bring a creative approach to covering the news.
- Comfortable and proficient using social media, smartphone photo and video and other media platforms to report and tell stories.
- Ability to write in an engaging manner is essential.
- Attention to detail is required.
- Eagerness to work evenings and to be a key part of the news operation during those hours.
- Ability and willingness to collaborate and build a rapport with others.
- Ability to find fresh story angles and write concise, lively copy in keeping with Newsday's tone and format.
- Proficiency shooting iPhone photos and videos is a necessary skill.
- Strong organization and time management skills.
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple assignments simultaneously while meeting aggressive deadlines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required.
- Ability to work a flexible and varied schedule to include weekends, holidays and extended hours as needed to support business needs.
- Ability to travel throughout Long Island as related to the assignment being covered.
- Driver’s license in good standing and reliable means of transportation are required.
- The hourly base rate range for this role is $31.89 - $52.32, commensurate with experience
Newsday Media Group is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants and incumbents are selected, placed, trained, compensated and promoted without regard to actual or perceived sex, race, color, age, national origin, citizenship, marital or domestic partner status, military/veteran status, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity or expression, religion or religious creed, ancestry, physical or mental disability or handicap, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other characteristic protected by law. In addition, Newsday Media Group provides a reasonable accommodation for applicants/incumbents with disabilities. Please advise Human Resources if you require a reasonable accommodation.
About Newsday Media Group
Newsday Media Group (NMG) is one of the nation’s most dynamic media organizations, serving Long Island and New York City through its portfolio of mobile and digital products, print publications and live events. With 19 Pulitzer Prizes and other esteemed awards for outstanding journalism, our mission and vision is to engage consumers and businesses by connecting them to the communities in which they live, work and play.
NMG properties include the award-winning Newsday, Newsday.com; amNewYork, New York City’s most widely circulated free daily paper along with its mobile app and amNY.com; Newsday Connect, the digital solutions company serving Long Island business owners; and Newsday Local Publishing, one of the Northeast's largest groups of weekly shopper publications.
Want to learn more about Newsday Media Group? Visit Newsday Media Group's website.
Dotdash brands help people find answers, solve problems, and get inspired.