Internet News Manager
Newsday Media Group, Melville, NY - Corporate Center Drive
Work at Newsday Media Group
Summary of Position
The Internet News Manager specializes in programming content for the Newsday.com homepage and other digital platforms. The role requires strong news judgment, advanced headline-writing skills and the ability to take appropriate action on metrics data. Homepage producers will be key partners in collaborative projects between Editorial/Product/Web Development teams.
Essential Duties & Functions
Oversee the homepage of Newsday.com, section fronts and our mobile platform. This includes:
- Place local news and enterprise stories on the page, utilizing news judgment, metrics and feedback from supervisors to create a compelling, comprehensive report that reflects Newsday’s journalism standards. Work with news, photo and video editors to help get their content online and troubleshoot problems with traditional posts and alternative storytelling.
- Constantly monitor the page to improve headlines and teasers for readability/accuracy/sense, improve photo crops with homepage view in mind and ensure that content is up-to-date. Look for technical/UX glitches and typographical errors. Check leads and display type to ensure there are no misspellings or inaccurate descriptions and that Newsday digital style is followed. Run and troubleshoot live videos and other items with motion attached, links, etc., that go up on the homepage.
- Monitor parse.ly to see which stories are performing well and adjust story play and headlines accordingly, using good editorial judgment and awareness of Newsday’s brand. Alert assigning editors to particularly well-performing content so they can consider ways to update or supplement that coverage. Stay up-to-date on metrics reports to help inform decision-making. As needed, analyze data to identify trends and share actionable insights with newsroom editors and reporters to help grow and diversify Newsday’s audience.
- Monitor parse.ly dashboard for ups/downs on top 25 stories of the day. Systematically click into each during a work shift to assess the breakdown of where traffic is coming from.
- Look for related media and attach. Work with content editors to ensure proper placement/addition of internal links to story text, where relevant, such as previous coverage.
- As time allows, check investigative projects and other evergreen content, especially those that are popular or timely, to ensure they are working properly and flag problems as they are discovered.
- Keep track of competitors’ content and alert HUB editors to relevant content.
- Stay on top of key wire stories and quickly post and alert breaking news, in collaboration with HUB editors.
- Check stories and fix homepages, categories, community tags. Follow up with editors to improve these items on the front end.
Help promote Newsday’s content. This includes:
- Write push and email alerts for high-interest stories over several segments, including local community alerts. Work with supervisors and desk editors to execute.
- Compile the Morning or Afternoon Update newsletter to promote a wide range of Newsday content.
- Assist with social media posts. Alert social team of breaking news.
Essential Job Knowledge & Skills
- A demonstrated understanding of journalism ethics, standards and AP style.
- Expertise with standard metrics and SEO programs such as Parse.ly, Metrics for News and Adobe. Advanced Excel/spreadsheet management skills is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to shape journalistically sound insights from raw metrics data.
- Collaborative mindset focused on building a rapport with others on a cross-functional team.
- Willingness to multi-task on quick-turnaround assignments and long-term projects, pivoting as the team’s priorities shift.
- Ability to work a flexible and varied schedule to include weekends, nights and holidays.
- This position is hybrid with a three day per week in office requirement.
- Ability to travel throughout Long Island, if required.
- Driver’s license in good standing and reliable means of transportation required.
The annual base salary for this position is $69,000.
This position is represented by the Graphics Communication Conference, PPPWU.
Newsday Media Group is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants and incumbents are selected, placed, trained, compensated and promoted without regard to actual or perceived sex, race, color, age, national origin, citizenship, marital or domestic partner status, military/veteran status, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity or expression, religion or religious creed, ancestry, physical or mental disability or handicap, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other characteristic protected by law. In addition, Newsday Media Group provides a reasonable accommodation for applicants/incumbents with disabilities. Please advise Human Resources if you require a reasonable accommodation.
About Newsday Media Group
Newsday Media Group (NMG) is one of the nation’s most dynamic media organizations, serving Long Island and New York City through its portfolio of mobile and digital products, print publications and live events. With 19 Pulitzer Prizes and other esteemed awards for outstanding journalism, our mission and vision is to engage consumers and businesses by connecting them to the communities in which they live, work and play.
NMG properties include the award-winning Newsday, Newsday.com; amNewYork, New York City’s most widely circulated free daily paper along with its mobile app and amNY.com; Newsday Connect, the digital solutions company serving Long Island business owners; and Newsday Local Publishing, one of the Northeast's largest groups of weekly shopper publications.
Want to learn more about Newsday Media Group? Visit Newsday Media Group's website.
Home of the world’s best books.