Newsday Media Group, Melville, NY - Corporate Center Drive
Work at Newsday Media Group
The news desk is seeking a “do-it-all” editor to design pages, edit copy, write headlines and display copy for the news of the day in all forms: print, narrative stories, video, alternative storytelling, social media and voice.
Essential Duties & Functions
- Communicate/coordinate with other news desk members on stories and jump in to help in the newsroom as needed.
- Handle all kinds of news quickly, with great attention paid to accuracy, fairness and detail.
- Must be able to ask big-picture questions in copy, as well as sweat the details.
- Review stories digitally and in print.
- Assess reader/subscriber trends that serve our loyal subscribers and help Newsday build subscribers and new, diverse audiences.
Essential Job Knowledge & Skills
- Must know AP and Newsday style.
- Prior newsroom experience required.
- Must have strong news judgment and editing skills, with a deep understanding of our products and the role of metrics.
- Must be collaborative and communicative with colleagues across all platforms.
- Attention to detail, grammatical accuracy and strong organizational skills required.
- Ability to be agile and handle multiple assignments simultaneously while meeting aggressive deadlines.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills required.
- Ability and willingness to work a flexible and varied schedule, including weekends, holidays and extended hours as needed to support newsroom needs.
- The hourly base rate for this role is $52.32.
Newsday is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants and incumbents are selected, placed, trained, compensated and promoted without regard to actual or perceived sex, race, color, age, national origin, citizenship, marital or domestic partner status, military/veteran status, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity or expression, religion or religious creed, ancestry, physical or mental disability or handicap, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other characteristic protected by law. In addition, Newsday Media Group provides a reasonable accommodation for applicants/incumbents with disabilities. Please advise Human Resources if you require a reasonable accommodation.
About Newsday Media Group
Newsday Media Group (NMG) is one of the nation’s most dynamic media organizations, serving Long Island and New York City through its portfolio of mobile and digital products, print publications and live events. With 19 Pulitzer Prizes and other esteemed awards for outstanding journalism, our mission and vision is to engage consumers and businesses by connecting them to the communities in which they live, work and play.
NMG properties include the award-winning Newsday, Newsday.com; amNewYork, New York City’s most widely circulated free daily paper along with its mobile app and amNY.com; Newsday Connect, the digital solutions company serving Long Island business owners; and Newsday Local Publishing, one of the Northeast's largest groups of weekly shopper publications.
Want to learn more about Newsday Media Group? Visit Newsday Media Group's website.
One of the largest broadband communications and video services providers in the United States
Creative Jobs For You
College Publishing Sales Representative, Midwest
W. W. Norton & Company, Inc., Remote, Work from USA