Senior Data Scientist
Newsday Media Group, Melville, NY - Corporate Center Drive
Work at Newsday Media Group
Summary of Position
The Senior Data Scientist will apply a logical, systematic approach to problem-solving using experimental design, statistical analysis, and sophisticated quantitative approaches to identify insights and make recommendations to resolve business problems and help drive change. This involves gathering, integrating, and transforming data; performing descriptive and inferential statistical analysis; and building models to draw conclusions addressing business questions and make recommendations that assist in driving and informing our print, digital and event Advertising strategies. The position will also oversee the data science team.
Essential Duties & Functions
- Lead a team of data scientists and analysts. Facilitate in selecting appropriate techniques, and constructing valid and implementable models to predict and understand consumer behavior, needs, and desires; and segmentation schemes to target communications and optimize engagement
- Exploratory data analytic techniques to gain insights into factors affecting key performance indicators
- Simple, stratified, and weighted sampling; research design for conducting studies with valid and interpretable results
- Data transformation, imputation, feature extraction, latent trait and factor development for producing valid and interpretable descriptive and predictive models
- Performing predictive modeling projects, in house and in collaboration with outside consultants, for anticipating churn, developing pricing recommendations, and recommending acquisition and engagement strategies
- Segmentation using diverse intuitive and non-intuitive data points and potentially fuzzy matching data sources
- Net lift modeling for matching specific treatments to specific customer segments
- Applying machine learning algorithms on very large click stream databases to identify behaviors leading up to registration, subscription, and churn
- Time series and other forecasting methods for developing expectations of behaviors and identifying deviations
- Development of databases and automated procedures for A/B testing and signaling when interventions are losing effectiveness
- Build tools based on Natural Language Processing to help newsroom compare engagement performance of similar articles and understand the attributes of well-performing articles
- Supervision of Data Analyst.
Essential Job Knowledge & Skills
- MA/MS/MBA degree, with preferred majors in Data Science, Statistics, Social Science with a research focus; Business Analytics
- 4+ years of analytical experience with proven business experience in modeling
- Communicate complex quantitative analysis in a clear, precise, and actionable manner to both technical and non-technical groups
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; Ability to communicate effectively with other departments to understand concerns, formulate analytic questions, determine data requirements and appropriate methodology
- Ability to prepare reports and present analytic results in non-technical language with an orientation toward answering questions and addressing issues
- Ability to create dashboard, graphs and visualizations on data
- Possesses a strong passion for empirical research and for answering complex questions with data
- Requires proficient business skills to understand problems and build the algorithms necessary to find the right answers applicable to the business needs
- Strong familiarity with one or more of the following: R, Python, SAS; will consider expertise in other analytic and scripting languages
- Strong experience with regression, cluster analysis, decision trees, random forests and other machine learning approaches, and other statistical techniques
- Experience communicating the results of analyses with product and leadership teams to influence the strategy of the product
- Knowledge of database design and structured query language (SQL), Microsoft Office; Application Programming Interface (API) experience a plus.
- Strong leadership capability, managing and mentoring others.
- This is a hybrid position. Employees are generally required to work in the office and/or the field a minimum of three (3) days per week.
- The salary for this role is $105,000, commensurate with experience and other qualifications.
Newsday Media Group is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants and incumbents are selected, placed, trained, compensated and promoted without regard to actual or perceived sex, race, color, age, national origin, citizenship, marital or domestic partner status, military/veteran status, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity or expression, religion or religious creed, ancestry, physical or mental disability or handicap, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other characteristic protected by law. In addition, Newsday Media Group provides a reasonable accommodation for applicants/incumbents with disabilities. Please advise Human Resources if you require a reasonable accommodation.
About Newsday Media Group
Newsday Media Group (NMG) is one of the nation’s most dynamic media organizations, serving Long Island and New York City through its portfolio of mobile and digital products, print publications and live events. With 19 Pulitzer Prizes and other esteemed awards for outstanding journalism, our mission and vision is to engage consumers and businesses by connecting them to the communities in which they live, work and play.
NMG properties include the award-winning Newsday, Newsday.com; amNewYork, New York City’s most widely circulated free daily paper along with its mobile app and amNY.com; Newsday Connect, the digital solutions company serving Long Island business owners; and Newsday Local Publishing, one of the Northeast's largest groups of weekly shopper publications.
Want to learn more about Newsday Media Group? Visit Newsday Media Group's website.
One of the largest broadband communications and video services providers in the United States
Creative Jobs For You
Development and Communications Assistant
A Community of Friends, Los Angeles, California, United States, 90079