Newsday Media Group, Melville, NY - Corporate Center Drive
Work at Newsday Media Group
The Communications Manager manages Company communications, supports community relations/ initiatives, and is responsible for establishing relationships with media outlets and handling public relations issues that arise internally or externally.
Essential Duties & Functions
- Identify, write, and edit a broad range of on-brand communications for internal and external audiences, including speeches and talking points, press releases, management memorandums, community relations collateral, employee-related news and information and other company communications published in various platforms.
- Cultivate and manage media relations and develop contacts with media members, influencers, business and community leaders to promote increased visibility for the Company, its key initiatives, and campaigns in market. Aggressively utilize media channels (social, digital, traditional) to strategically push out messages which promote Newsday products, innovations, content and journalists.
- Work with leaders across the organization to identify, define and produce messaging based on the needs of the organization.
- Establish and drive a multi-channel communications strategy for various situations including major announcements, product launches, executive appointments and other anticipated events. These plans incorporate timelines, media strategy, potential issues, key messages, Q&A and draft statements.
- Manage Company intranet content along with HR.
- Monitor media for all coverage related to our Company and business/industry and circulate clips to appropriate executives in a timely manner. When communication impacts the entire Company, ensure all Company materials deliver a consistent and positive message outside of the organization.
- Assist with media inquiries and work with Publisher/General Counsel and other executives as required to develop media statements (24/7).
- Work with all departments and counsel to review external material submitted to Newsday for approval. Serve as liaison with all departments to assist in reviewing and developing departmental communications (internal and external).
- Respond to information requests and assist with various company communications projects and events.
- Maintain ongoing dialogue with key personnel in all departments to identify potential issues and events that would require proactive or reactive communications.
- Represent Newsday at external functions in the community.
- Develop relationships with community/business groups and create opportunities for partnerships which can be used to promote Newsday brand, products and studio.
- Work closely with the newsroom and business side of Newsday to promote new initiatives, investigations, content, products...
- Coordinate speaking engagements for top leadership (and/or others at Newsday) which can be held internally or externally, to highlight our organization.
- Plan monthly Inside Newsday forums for staff to learn about other departments and to be kept up-to-date on internal happenings. (Done in conjunction with HR.)
- Attend external corporate and charity events to maintain and develop new relationships with the Long Island business/non-profit community.
- Attend meetings or participate in briefings on:
- branding/marketing communications, in terms of creating a mission statement,
- or other company-wide communication
- Generate new and creative ways to promote, grow and expand Newsday TV.
- Crisis management when needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Essential Job Knowledge & Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications or related field
- Minimum of 5-7 years related experience in executive communications; Media company experience and familiarity with large organizations preferred
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite: advanced working knowledge of Word, PowerPoint
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- Excellent copywriting skills across a wide range of styles and for multiple channels
- Superior ability to write in a journalistic style that is customary for corporate and external publications
- Ability to offer sound media relations advice to senior leadership
- Outstanding interpersonal skills
- Ability to cultivate relevant media relationships
- Meticulous attention to detail and strong organizational ability
- Ability to multi-task effectively and juggle competing priorities and initiatives
- Ability to work a flexible and varied schedule to include extended hours, weekends and holidays as required to support business needs
- Up to 25% local travel to events and community functions
- This is a hybrid position. Employees are generally required to work in the office a minimum of three (3) days per week.
- Valid driver’s license in good standing.
- Reliable means of transportation to commute to/from events/functions across Long Island.
- The salary for this position is $103,000, commensurate with experience.
Newsday Media Group is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants and incumbents are selected, placed, trained, compensated and promoted without regard to actual or perceived sex, race, color, age, national origin, citizenship, marital or domestic partner status, military/veteran status, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity or expression, religion or religious creed, ancestry, physical or mental disability or handicap, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other characteristic protected by law. In addition, Newsday Media Group provides a reasonable accommodation for applicants/incumbents with disabilities. Please advise Human Resources if you require a reasonable accommodation.
About Newsday Media Group
Newsday Media Group (NMG) is one of the nation’s most dynamic media organizations, serving Long Island and New York City through its portfolio of mobile and digital products, print publications and live events. With 19 Pulitzer Prizes and other esteemed awards for outstanding journalism, our mission and vision is to engage consumers and businesses by connecting them to the communities in which they live, work and play.
NMG properties include the award-winning Newsday, Newsday.com; amNewYork, New York City’s most widely circulated free daily paper along with its mobile app and amNY.com; Newsday Connect, the digital solutions company serving Long Island business owners; and Newsday Local Publishing, one of the Northeast's largest groups of weekly shopper publications.
Want to learn more about Newsday Media Group? Visit Newsday Media Group's website.
One of the largest broadband communications and video services providers in the United States