Manager - Data Analyst
Newsday Media Group, Melville, NY - Corporate Center Drive
Work at Newsday Media Group
The Manager of Data Analytics will have primary responsibility for instilling a culture of data driven decision making throughout Newsday. Through conversations with internal stakeholders, those in other related organizations, and consultants; and maintaining currency with the industry literature, the manager will evaluate ways in which predictive modeling, machine learning, segmentation, and other analytic techniques can be applied to maximizing subscriber acquisition, engagement, retention, and lifetime value.
Essential Duties & Functions
- Consult with internal stakeholders in editorial, marketing, advertising, acquisition/retention and customer relationship management to understand their challenges and concerns, and develop data-driven solutions for content development, paywall implementation, acquisition/retention strategies, and market-based pricing
- To achieve the overall goal, the manager will supervise and facilitate staff of skilled statisticians and data scientists in selecting appropriate techniques, and constructing valid and implementable models to predict and understand consumer behavior, needs, and desires; and segmentation schemes to target communications and optimize engagement
- Oversee the identification, collection, and structuring of internally and externally generated, cross-platform user behavioral, and third-party demographic data; includes consultation with IT resources to define, construct and maintain an end-user accessible database
- Choose tools and external data sources, select and work closely with consultants; allocate efforts between internal and external resources to maximize effectiveness, responsiveness, and efficiency
- Set up, conduct, and monitor tests; analyze results; create actionable end-user reporting to guided decision making on an ongoing basis
- Support primary research efforts; including consulting on survey design, creation of projectable samples, and in-depth data analysis
Essential Job Knowledge & Skills
- Master’s degree or higher in Mathematics, Statistics, Economics, Research or related field.
- 10+ years of analytical experience with proven business experience in modeling, preferably in a subscription or news media-oriented operation.
- Minimum of 10 years of expertise in user analytics preferably at multiple platform news or content-focused websites and a demonstrated track record of excellence specific to growing multiple platform audience and deepening engagement at news or content-focused websites.
- Track record of completing projects including data pulls of varying size and scope; and demonstrated success in leveraging a wide range of data to inform audience development strategies and tactics.
- Demonstrated ability to leverage data to troubleshoot, identify patterns, and generate creative new approaches to audience development strategies, tactics, and creating data reports for a non-technical audience.
- Advanced modeling tool experience required (e.g. SAS, R); strong familiarity with database design and query development
- Strong leadership capability, managing and mentoring others
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to assimilate concepts from disciplines throughout the organization; ability to elicit ideas and concerns and transform into actionable approaches
- Ability to communicate with others and facilitate meetings, presentations and ideas to large groups.
- This is a hybrid position. Employees are generally required to work in the office a minimum of three (3) days per week.
- The annual salary range for this position is $135,000 - $148,500 commensurate with experience.
Newsday Media Group is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants and incumbents are selected, placed, trained, compensated and promoted without regard to actual or perceived sex, race, color, age, national origin, citizenship, marital or domestic partner status, military/veteran status, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity or expression, religion or religious creed, ancestry, physical or mental disability or handicap, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other characteristic protected by law. In addition, Newsday Media Group provides a reasonable accommodation for applicants/incumbents with disabilities. Please advise Human Resources if you require a reasonable accommodation.
About Newsday Media Group
Newsday Media Group (NMG) is one of the nation’s most dynamic media organizations, serving Long Island and New York City through its portfolio of mobile and digital products, print publications and live events. With 19 Pulitzer Prizes and other esteemed awards for outstanding journalism, our mission and vision is to engage consumers and businesses by connecting them to the communities in which they live, work and play.
NMG properties include the award-winning Newsday, Newsday.com; amNewYork, New York City’s most widely circulated free daily paper along with its mobile app and amNY.com; Newsday Connect, the digital solutions company serving Long Island business owners; and Newsday Local Publishing, one of the Northeast's largest groups of weekly shopper publications.
Want to learn more about Newsday Media Group? Visit Newsday Media Group's website.
Home of the world’s best books.