Oxford University Press, New York, NY USA or Remote
Come join us !
ABOUT THE ROLE
The ideal candidate will manage and develop a portfolio of society contracts in the humanities and social sciences to a degree of excellence that enhances OUP’s standing in the learned society and publishing landscape.
Journal portfolio management and society relationship management
- Ensure journal, departmental, and divisional targets (including revenue, quality, and profitability) are achieved.
- Collaborate with Editors and journal owners to publish high quality content in maximum suitable volume to increase market share of articles.
- Renew society contracts with maximum financial contribution to OUP. Lead pre-emptive renewals and responses to RFPs to retain contracts for society-owned journals including developing the business plans for approval and writing and presenting detailed proposals, in liaison with the Publishing Director.
- Ensure adherence to contractual terms for all journals in your portfolio.
- Create and present Editorial Development plans to societies and editorial boards as appropriate. Provide relevant data to inform editorial decision making.
- Work collaboratively and productively with other functional groups (especially production, marketing, digital) to deliver an excellent service for society partners.
- Work with finance and operations colleagues to ensure maximum long and short term profitability of the journal list, including management of costs. Initiate remedial actions and negotiations where necessary.
- Roll out OUP journal policies across the portfolio.
- Lead or contribute to the response to RFPs for new potential society business in subject areas identified for content growth.
- With data driven analysis
- High quality written proposals
- Persuasive presentations
- Commercially intelligent financial arrangements
- In full agreement with OUP legal and compliance requirements
- In accordance with OUPs risk appetite and strategic priorities
- Work with the Publishing Director to negotiate successful, consistent contractual terms with society partners that align with OUP strategic priorities and risk appetite, ensuring full compliance with approval processes.
- Negotiate successful, consistent contractual terms with society partners that align with OUP strategic priorities and risk appetite, ensuring full compliance with approval processes.
- Present for approval, and launch new open access journals with society partners, after undertaking necessary qualitative research and detailed financial modeling.
- Lead the transition process for newly acquired titles in your area of expertise ensuring a methodological approach, coordination with other departments, including the transitions team, and keeping society clients fully informed on what to expect at each stage.
- Assist with implementation of projects that scale across the journals program.
- Publishing or transferable professional experience
- Understanding of academic publishing
- Outstanding communication skills and the ability to influence, persuade, and negotiate with both internal and external parties.
- Analytical and forecasting ability to review trends and align development appropriately.
- Commercial awareness
Location: This position can be remote.
About Oxford University Press
Education changes lives forever. It broadens horizons, breaks down barriers, and fires imaginations. Like the University of Oxford of which we are a part, we are committed to uncompromising standards, freedom of expression, and the enrichment of lives through education. This is our motivation, our purpose, and our mission. It is why 100% of the money we make is reinvested into education and research. It is why all 6,000 of us in 52 countries care deeply about reaching more people, in more places, with world-class learning and research materials and services.
Want to learn more about Oxford University Press? Visit Oxford University Press's website.
Create the extraordinary.