Project Editor, Science and Medicine books
Oxford University Press, Remote, Work from USA
Come join us !
The Project Editor is responsible for the management and delivery of designated projects within the Science and Medicine book team in the Content Development group. Work may include managing the publishing of content in one or more print and/or digital formats, developing key copyrights or major works, or overseeing digital projects. The Project Editor works under their own initiative within agreed departmental parameters, so that projects are delivered and content is published on schedule, to quality standards, and to budget.
- Manage all projects in accordance with defined procedures, to ensure quality and timeliness, including setting-up of projects; monitoring and driving progress; reporting; identifying issues/risks and taking action to resolve them, or with colleagues determining the path to resolution; liaising with authors and stakeholders about standard issues; and maintaining accurate product and workflow data, ensuring all relevant systems are up to date.
- Project manage online content and book titles through content creation and to delivery to Production. Assure ongoing delivery of contracted requirements; liaise with authors and others to determine progress, ensure they are clear on and committed to specifications, content, style, structure, and schedules; and secure timely submission of high-quality work and ancillary materials in appropriate Assess and review content against contracted requirements and manage content through peer-review process if required. Ensure all product and content data and metadata are accurate in all relevant systems and complete handover of content to Production per agreed specifications. Manage projects with partially outsourced pre-production workflows as liaison with external editorial teams or suppliers.
- Co-ordinate with Design, Marketing, and Sales to provide all standard materials, specs, copy, and briefs, tailored to effectively produce and bring content to market. Produce reports for Sales and Marketing as required.
- On request, and as necessitated by the project workflow, review, correct, and deliver digital content for regular online publication. Request corrections and updates to content by Production or suppliers via the relevant systems. Review, enrich, correct, and deliver metadata according to project needs.
- Work with Content Operations to ensure projects are published according to approved plans; escalate concerns to manager if projects deviate from agreed costings or if there are errors introduced in the production process. Obtain accurate costings for each project at relevant stages to ascertain profitability. Monitor costs and manage changes by adjusting models, with Acquisition Editor’s approval, and reporting exceptions as appropriate. Monitor progress of content through the Production workflow. Ensure that queries from the Production teams are handled promptly and properly.
- Support new-product development across print and digital. This will involve working in conjunction with the Heads of Acquisitions, Acquisitions Editors, and the Heads of Content Development, and may include supporting the development of new publishing streams or products.
- Support or undertake market and customer research to manage the ongoing assessment and validation of coverage, structure, and usability for online products/modules, key copyrights, and major works, so they continue to meet the requirements of the market. Analyze market information and reviewers’ questionnaires and reports to support recommendations for developing products and content and prepare and present the findings or recommendations for each project in a clear and coherent way. With supervision from the Acquisitions Editor, propose and secure decisions on title-development plans and online-content strategy, including bringing on new authors or editors to projects. Attend board meetings as required.
- As requested by, and/or in conjunction with, the Acquisition Editor or Editorial Manager, represent the Content Development Team to colleagues within the Press and to external stakeholders, including customers and user communities, ensuring that any requests, concerns, and service issues are addressed promptly and professionally and used to inform product. This could include representing OUP at author meetings, conferences, product launches, etc., as appropriate. Establish and maintain good relationships so that OUP is regarded as the publisher of choice.
- Develop and maintain good knowledge of relevant subject area(s), and a good working knowledge of editorial operations and Share knowledge within the department, providing assistance and guidance to other team members, referring to Senior Project Editors or Editorial Manager when necessary. Help with the training of new team members as required, and make suggestions for necessary updates to training documentation. Contribute to departmental or divisional workflow- and process-improvement projects or initiatives.
- Contribute to the annual budgeting exercises, helping establish the titles and/or online content that will publish in the next financial year. Track projects against budget and/or publishing goals throughout the year.
- Proven track record of managing projects and delivering to schedule
- Experience of, and engagement with, cross-format publishing, ideally in an academic environment
- Ability to work autonomously, prioritize a demanding workload, set and meet deadlines, and adjust priorities as necessary
- Excellent organizational, project-management, and time-management skills
- Ability to adapt to change and work across different subject areas and projects as required
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work and communicate productively with senior academics and other specialized authors
- Work demonstrates high levels of accuracy and attention to detail
- Good IT literacy and adaptability
Position Location: This position can be fully remote or hybrid in one of our offices: NY, NC or MA
About Oxford University Press
Education changes lives forever. It broadens horizons, breaks down barriers, and fires imaginations. Like the University of Oxford of which we are a part, we are committed to uncompromising standards, freedom of expression, and the enrichment of lives through education. This is our motivation, our purpose, and our mission. It is why 100% of the money we make is reinvested into education and research. It is why all 6,000 of us in 52 countries care deeply about reaching more people, in more places, with world-class learning and research materials and services.
Want to learn more about Oxford University Press? Visit Oxford University Press's website.
Create the extraordinary.