Project On Government Oversight, Washington, DC USA
Work at Project On Government Oversight
Salary: Starting salary $54K
Salary min: $50,000
Salary max: $60,000
Level: Experienced (Non-Manager)
Founded in 1981 in partnership with whistleblowers, the Project On Government Oversight (POGO) is a nonpartisan independent watchdog that works to expose waste, corruption, abuse of power, and when the government fails to serve the public or silences those who report wrongdoing. We champion reforms to achieve a more effective, ethical, and accountable federal government that safeguards constitutional principles. POGO has an annual budget of more than $6 million, which supports a staff of over 45 employees.
POGO’s editorial team is looking for a talented Fact Checker to play an important role in ensuring the accuracy of POGO’s written products. The Fact Checker serves as one of the organization’s last lines of defense in preventing mistakes and errors in our public facing products. The Fact Checker reports directly to POGO’s Editorial Director.
We encourage potential applicants to apply even if they only have experience or familiarity in some of the areas described below. We fully recognize that many great candidates will not have experience in all of the areas we list, or may have relevant experiences and skills that we have not listed or considered.
- Fact check content produced by POGO and its sub-brands, including articles, reports, testimony, press releases, videos, graphics, fundraising materials, and more.
- Review content to ensure it aligns with POGO’s style and formatting guidelines.
- Proofread POGO content as needed.
- Manage multiple projects simultaneously, often under tight deadlines.
- Assist with maintaining POGO’s style guide to ensure it is up-to-date and circulated among POGO staff.
- Collaborate with editorial team to propose and develop fact checking procedures and best practices, and lead fact checking trainings for POGO staff.
- Deal with confidential information and issues using discretion and judgment.
- Other duties as needed or required.
- Minimum of two years of experience copy editing and fact checking for a non-profit organization or news media publication
- Commitment to accuracy, nonpartisanship, and rigorous attention to detail
- Knowledge of multiple style guides, preferably including AP and Chicago
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and the ability to work effectively with colleagues, external organizations, and independently when necessary
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated commitment to working in a collaborative, respectful manner with diverse stakeholders
- Demonstrated track record of taking initiative to solve problems and adapt to changing circumstances
Compensation benefits, and other information:
This position is eligible for remote work from anywhere within the United States provided you are available during POGO's core working hours in the Eastern Time Zone. Otherwise, the position and POGO are based in Washington, DC. The job is full time and includes the listed benefits.
- Competitive nonprofit salary starting at $54K
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- 403(b) employee investment plan available, with employer retirement contribution through a SEP IRA once eligible
- Life insurance and long-term disability coverage
- Metro SmarTrip benefits participation available
- Paid holiday, vacation, and sick leave
To Apply: Submit a cover letter and resume. No phone calls please.
Application Deadline: October 10th
POGO is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce and provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. We encourage all interested and qualified individuals to apply.
About Project On Government Oversight
Founded in 1981 in partnership with whistleblowers, the Project On Government Oversight (POGO) is a nonpartisan independent watchdog that works to expose waste, corruption, abuse of power, and other instances where the government fails to serve the public. We champion reforms to achieve a more effective, ethical, and accountable federal government that safeguards constitutional principles. POGO has an over $6 million annual budget that supports a staff of over 40 employees.
Want to learn more about Project On Government Oversight? Visit Project On Government Oversight's website.
We produce and distribute content through some of the world’s leading and most valued brands