Public Policy Institute of California, San Francisco, CA USA
Work at Public Policy Institute of California
Salary: $65,000 - $75,000, with excellent benefits.
Level: Entry Level
Purpose of the Role
The events associate supports the public events outreach program for the Public Policy Institute of California (PPIC). The associate assists in the formation, planning, and execution of more than 30 public convenings annually to support PPIC’s vision of informing civic life in our state through an evolving events portfolio. The associate plays a key administrative and operational role in event planning and logistics, maintains effective organizational systems, and continually uses evaluation tools to improve event offerings. The events associate reports to the events manager and is an integral member of the communications team. This is a full-time position.
- Provide support for a diverse range of public events—in-person and virtual—including research presentations, panel discussions, sponsored series, and conferences. Help ensure a steady flow of activity, on average three public events each month.
- Maintain events calendars and document progress towards completion of major milestones, often navigating activities for multiple events that overlap.
- Maintain event details and related tasks in project management system.
- Assist in managing the day-to-day operations of event planning, keeping the events team on track and up-to-date on responsibilities and deadlines. Activities include:
- Creating and sharing checklists and other organizational tools
- Drafting event materials and event documentation
- Supporting participant outreach and preparation
- Facilitating internal and external information-sharing with events team and other stakeholders, event participants, and vendors
- Coordinating day-of logistics for in-person and virtual events
- Understanding, expertly using, and troubleshooting webinar platforms
- Generating detailed reports and providing event statistics as needed
- Handling invoices and other financial reporting
- Act as lead on specific events, overseeing all aspects of planning and execution
- Analyze and provide input on areas for process improvement to ensure event planning is efficient and cost-effective. Attend community events and conduct outreach and research on current event trends; share findings with colleagues.
- Assist with other institutional events and activities as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, plus a minimum two years of experience with project management/event planning.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks under strict deadlines. A problem solver, with keen attention to detail. Superior organizational skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and proven ability to work collaboratively.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Solid project management software skills – MS Project, Wrike, WorkFront, or similar program.
- Strong computer skills in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Adobe Acrobat, EventBrite, CMS (Wordpress), and CRM (Salesforce).
Application and Compensation Details
In addition to your resume, upload a cover letter that outlines your events experience and interest in the position.
We include the budgeted salary range in our postings. In determining an offer level for a candidate, PPIC considers a variety of factors including but not limited to the specific role and associated responsibilities; internal equity; and a candidate’s work experience, education, training, skills and other expertise.
This position is overtime eligible. In addition to the salary, the role offers a generous benefit package, excellent work environment, and an exciting mission that will inspire you daily! The comprehensive benefits package includes medical, dental, and vision insurance for employee and dependents. PPIC contributes the equivalent of 9% of the salary towards the retirement plan. The organization provides 12 paid holidays and 28 days of PTO annually (PTO balance increases with tenure), and more!
Equal Employer Opportunity (EEO) statement:
PPIC celebrates diversity and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a team that represents the backgrounds, perspectives, identities, and skills of California. No matter who you are, we invite you to apply for this role.
About Public Policy Institute of California
The Public Policy Institute of California helps state leaders and other decision makers better understand policy issues—and make informed choices—by providing them with objective, high-quality, nonpartisan policy research.
One of the largest broadband communications and video services providers in the United States