Digital Product Designer (Communications Analyst, II)
RAND Corporation, Santa Monica, CA USA, Washington, DC, Pittsburgh, PA, Boston, MA
Work at RAND Corporation
RAND has an exciting opportunity for a talented digital product designer to join our in-house Digital Strategy and Communications Group, which is part of RAND’s Office of External Affairs. The Digital Strategy and Communications Group strives to create products that help make RAND research and people more accessible to abroad audience through storytelling and design.
Digital product designers use their excellent visual design and data analysis skills to collaborate with key stakeholders and colleagues to develop concepts, wireframes, mockups, and quick prototypes, as well as polished visual design for RAND research. As such, you would be expected to think holistically about a product from start to finish, consider the end-user experience in everything you do while maintaining RAND’s brand guidelines and ensuring that digital products are inclusive and meet accessibility standards. You will also decide when to apply established patterns and styles, and when to evolve them or leave them behind for something new. You will conduct usability studies to identify opportunities for improvement and make recommendations based on your findings. Products that you work on will include digital articles, interactive graphics, data visualizations, microsites, and data tools. Additionally, you will be part of a broader, full-site redesign effort of the 50,000+ page rand.org site.
- Minimum6years of experience working on digital design products.
- A strong portfolio of work that demonstrates an ability to implement effective, user-centered solutions.
- Expert with Adobe Creative Suite and prototyping tools like Adobe XD, Figma, or UXPin.
- Strong visual and typographic sensibility.
- Experience designing for a variety of viewports.
- Ability to take complex concepts and break them down visually and interactively.
- Experience with incorporating data and data analysis into designs.
- Understanding of web accessibility standards and inclusive design best practices.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a multi-disciplinary team to accomplish tasks, problem solve, and explore new ideas.
- Excellent communication skills, oral and written. Able to persuasively present design solutions to clients to generate excitement and consensus.
- Experience with data visualization tools, e.g.,R Shiny, Tableau, D3
- Experience with user research methodologies and practices.
- Experience with large, high-traffic sites and content management systems.
- Experience in communicating and enforcing brand standards guidelines.
- Familiarity with workflow management tools like Jira or Workfront.
- Previous work at a policy organization or media company.
BA/BS in design, communications, marketing, HCI, or related field preferred.
A portfolio of relevant work that demonstrates creative and useful design solutions to complex problems, thoughtful attention to information architecture, and excellent visual design skills is required in order to be considered for this position.
Santa Monica, CA, Washington DC, Pittsburgh, PA, Boston, MA
Equal Opportunity Employer: race/color/religion/sex/sexual orientation/gender identity/national origin/disability/vet
About RAND Corporation
The RAND Corporation is a research organization that develops solutions to public policy challenges to help make communities throughout the world safer and more secure, healthier and more prosperous. RAND’s research and analysis address issues that impact people everywhere, including security, health, education, sustainability, growth, and development. Headquartered in Santa Monica, California, RAND has approximately 1,950 people from more than 50 countries working in offices in North America, Europe and Australia, with annual revenues of more than $357 million.
RAND is nonprofit, nonpartisan, and committed to the public interest. Our research is sponsored by government agencies, foundations, other nonprofit organizations, and the private sector. We rely on philanthropic support to reach beyond the scope of client-sponsored work to tackle questions that may be too big, too complex, or too new for our clients to address. RAND values objectivity and integrity in both its research processes and internal interactions. We emphasize a collegial environment that respects the contributions and dignity of all staff.
Want to learn more about RAND Corporation? Visit RAND Corporation's website.
Create the extraordinary.