Part-time Media Relations Coordinator (Media Relations Analyst I)
RAND Corporation, Arlington, VA USA
OBJECTIVE ANALYSIS. EFFECTIVE SOLUTIONS
Salary: Competitive with benefits
Level: Experienced (Non-Manager)
RAND has an exciting opportunity for a part-time (approximately 25 hours per week) Media Relations Coordinator to join the Office of Media Relations team in our Arlington, VA office. As a part of the Office of External Affairs, the Office of Media Relations helps raise RAND's profile by contributing to the awareness, understanding, and appreciation of RAND, our work, and our people through engagement with the media.
The Media Relations Coordinator supports RAND’s media outreach efforts including generating, tracking, and distributing RAND news coverage, responding to media inquiries, identifying media outreach targets, and assisting with media interviews. This position will also work with reporters and RAND staff under tight deadlines to enhance and protect RAND’s reputation, raise RAND’s profile, and win coverage for RAND’s research agenda.
Key Duties and Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Writing internal and external messages for high-level audiences, including weekly reports for RAND leadership, awards submissions, and news releases and media advisories
- Compiling and curating daily RAND in the News email alerts; tracking media interviews and commentaries; analyzing media-interaction trends for reports
- Analyzing emerging RAND research and expertise to help identify potential media interest, prepare targeted media lists and advisories for public events; coordinate and respond to incoming media and non-media requests
- Setting up and staffing media events, managing the broadcast studio, managing subscriptions and vendor requests, and other general tasks and projects as needed
- Coordinate and participate in media training sessions for research staff.
- At least 3 years of relevant communications or public relations experience
- Experience supporting communications plans, including the development of written media materials such as press releases, media advisories, media pitches, etc.
- Demonstrated understanding of communications platforms and channels, including traditional, digital, broadcast and social media, and an understanding of news media operations
- Superior writing, editing and interpersonal communications skills
- Demonstrated experience with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) or their equivalents and video conferencing software tools such as Microsoft Teams or Zoom
- Familiarity with press-office tools such as media monitoring and media contacts databases (such as Cision)
- Demonstrated ability to think creatively and strategically and use sound judgement to analyze complex situations
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills with the proven ability to work within tight deadlines
- Proven ability to work well in teams, both in person and remote
- Previous experience working in environments with rigorous quality assurance systems
- Ability to adapt quickly to new technologies and systems such as software collaboration tools, publishing tools and databases
A Bachelor’s degree in public relations, journalism, government, public policy, communications or a related field is required.
This position requires a DoD security clearance and/or security clearance through the Department of Homeland Security (DHS “Fitness”).
This position will be located at the Arlington, VA office and is eligible for RAND’s hybrid work environment, which enables a blend of on-site and remote work.
At least two writing samples that demonstrate an ability to convey complex policy or scientific ideas for a lay audience, or to pitch a potential newsworthy topic to media, are required to be considered for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer: race/color/religion/sex/sexual orientation/gender identity/national origin/disability/vet
About RAND Corporation
The RAND Corporation is a research organization that develops solutions to public policy challenges to help make communities throughout the world safer and more secure, healthier and more prosperous. RAND’s research and analysis address issues that impact people everywhere, including security, health, education, sustainability, growth, and development. Headquartered in Santa Monica, California, RAND has approximately 1,770 people from approximately 50 countries working in offices in North America, Europe and Australia, with annual revenues of $346 million.
RAND is nonprofit, nonpartisan, and committed to the public interest. Our research is sponsored by government agencies, international organizations, and foundations. We rely on philanthropic support to pursue visionary ideas; address critical problems that are under-researched; and devise innovative approaches for solving acute, complex, or provocative policy challenges. RAND values objectivity and integrity in both its research processes and internal interactions. We emphasize a collegial environment that respects the contributions and dignity of all staff.
Want to learn more about RAND Corporation? Visit RAND Corporation's website.
We produce and distribute content through some of the world’s leading and most valued brands