Editor - Joy Revolution
Penguin Random House, New York, NY
Work at Penguin Random House
Editor – Joy Revolution
Penguin Random House has an exciting opportunity for an Editor to join the Joy Revolution imprint at Random House Children's Books. This is a chance for someone to be on the ground floor of a new imprint focusing on young adult romance. Reporting to a Senior Executive Editor, the Editor will acquire and edit 4-8 Joy Revolution titles a year, as well as edit several Delacorte Press middle grade/YA titles. The right person will have a passion for excellence and creativity, and an eagerness to contribute positively to the culture within RHCB!
* Acquire and edit 4-8 Joy Revolution titles a year.
* Liaise between Nicola and David Yoon and the team at RHCB to find the right projects for the imprint and work closely with our art, marketing, publicity, sales, and subsidiary rights departments throughout the publishing process to bring the books to market.
* Work on additional middle grade/YA editorial projects for the Delacorte Press team.
* Develop and maintain author and agent relationships including scouting new talent, negotiating acquisitions, and liaising with authors and agents.
* Maintain publishing/production schedules and meet deadlines.
* Participate in editorial meetings.
* Present titles at sales meetings and elsewhere as required.
* Keep abreast of the field at large (read trade journals and competitors' books; be aware of trends in publishing and children’s media so as to keep list up-to-date with the marketplace’s needs and demands).
* 3+ years of structural and line-editing experience in fiction YA book publishing.
* Solid knowledge of the MG/YA marketplace
* Established relationships with literary agents
* Experience in negotiation and managing books through the editorial/production process
* Ability to multi-task, prioritize, and demonstrate strong attention to detail and follow-up
* Strong written, problem-solving and presentation skills
* A collaborative spirit--the Editor will work closely with Nicola and David Yoon to acquire titles and curate the list
* YA romance interest/experience working on BIPOC titles is a plus.
Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program. Please apply using our online application process, and please include your resume and cover letter with salary expectations.
Joy Revolution is a newimprint dedicated to young adult romance novels by people of color, about people of color,with #1 New York Times bestselling author Nicola Yoon (The Sun Is Also a Star and Everything, Everything) and bestselling author David Yoon (Frankly in Love) at the helm. The imprint will publish its first list in 2022. Wendy Loggia, Senior Executive Editor, Delacorte Press, will oversee the imprint. Joy Revolution was inspired by Nicola Yoon’s own love of romance novels and romantic comedies, and her desire from a very early age to see herself, a Black woman, at the center of them.
Delacorte Press is an imprint of Random House Children’s Books known for its award-winning and bestselling literary and commercial novels, as well as its nonfiction, for middle-grade and young adult readers. Delacorte is the home of many of America's most popular and highly acclaimed authors, among them Michael Buckley, Julie Buxbaum, Rob Buyea, Matt de la Peña, Natasha Díaz, Kathleen Glasgow, Lauren Kate, E. Lockhart, Karen M. McManus, Morgan Parker, Rory Power, Brandon Sanderson, Laura Sebastian, Michael Scott, Louis Sachar, Clare Vanderpool, Kiersten White, Nicola Yoon, and Amélie Zhao.
About Penguin Random House
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution.