Junior Designer - Avery Tarcher Perigee
Penguin Random House, New York City, NY
Home of the world’s best books.
Past titles include Atomic Habits, Set Boundaries Find Peace, Nine Nasty Words, Unwinding Anxiety, Things Are What You Make of Them, Notes to Self, 1000+ Little Things Happy Successful People Do Differently, Neurotribes, Love is the Way, Phallacy, The Book of Joy, Odd 1s Out, Inner Work of Racial Justice, Nightmareland, Start Where You Are, The Cosmic Calendar, Now is the Way, I am Diosa, Parenting Outside the Lines
Specific responsibilities include:
* Manage and design multiple front covers and mechanicals
* Support and work closely with the supervising Art Director(s) on various tasks such as research, layouts, and presentations.
* Partner and coordinate with other departments (editors, copy editors, production and prepress)
* Prepare print ready digital files
* Maintain high production standards, meet deadlines, keep to budgets, and respond thoughtfully to feedback
* Support and help maintain the department’s social media account
Please apply if you meet the following minimum requirements:
* Previous design experience a plus
* Highly organized and flexible
* Strong layout and typography skills
* Passionate about book design, typography, color, and trends
* Hand lettering and illustration skills are a plus
* Knowledge of printing, prepress file/art management and production are a plus
* Highly creative thinker who is willing to explore a number of visual possibilities for every book cover and enjoys problem solving: revisions are an opportunity to grow!
* Empathic person who can target designs to specific audiences/communities
* Very strong attention to detail and excellent organizational skills
* Excellent interpersonal and communication skills both verbal and written
* Ability to prioritize and multitask and do timely follow-ups in a deadline driven environment
* Proficiency with the MAC environment and the Adobe Suite: Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator
* Knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
Please apply using our online application system and please include a cover letter and link to your portfolio along with your resume.
About Penguin Random House
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution.
Want to learn more about Penguin Random House? Visit Penguin Random House's website.
We produce and distribute content through some of the world’s leading and most valued brands