Editorial Assistant - Dial Books, Penguin Young Readers
Penguin Random House, New York City, NY
Home of the world’s best books.
At Dial Books for Young Readers, we have an exciting opportunity for an Editorial Assistant to provide administrative and editorial support to an Executive Editor and a Senior Editor.
In this role, you will be part of a tight-knit team that publishes a mix of literary and commercial books that aim to entertain, enrich, and encourage children, middle-grade, and young adult readers. Assisting in all processes of book production from acquisition to publication, you will act as a liaison between authors, agents, and different departments within the company. You will also begin building the skills to start acquiring projects for your own list.
Some of Dial Books’ notable and award-winning authors and illustrators include Victoria Jamieson, Omar Mohamed, Maya Tatsukawa, Marilyn Nelson, Richard Peck, Jon Agee, Jandy Nelson, Adib Khorram, Kimberly Brubaker Bradley, Tiffany D. Jackson, Kyle Lukoff, Kristin Cashore, Brad Meltzer, Sheila Turnage, Jerry Pinkney, David Small, Erin E. Stead, Adam Rubin, and Dan Salmieri.
What you’ll do:
* Provide administrative and clerical support to supervisors and occasional support to the imprint overall
* Assist with daily editorial activities, including proposal/manuscript screening and project follow-up
* Track and maintain grid of agented submissions
* Read and evaluate manuscripts, suggesting cuts or revisions and writing reader reports
* Write jacket and catalog copy, Title Information sheets, and traffic books through all stages of production
* Draft P&Ls, generate Contract Information Sheets, review contract drafts and request payments
* Apply for cataloging numbers through the Library of Congress
* Attend IT trainings and act as a point person for new intracompany systems
* Attend and contribute ideas at editorial meetings
* Read review journals and competition titles to be aware of trends and competitor's lists
* Provide clerical support, including trafficking forms and other paperwork; filing; handling correspondence; mailing, etc.
* Proofread and copyedit as needed
* Keep up to date regarding promotion, publicity, and review status of books
Please apply if you:
* Are passionate about and have an interest in learning more about the ins and outs of children’s publishing
* Have some office or internship experience (previous publishing industry experience is not required)
* Have strong writing and critical thinking skills
* Are a self-starter with strong multitasking and organizational skills
* Are a creative and proactive team player
Salary for this position is $45,000. Please apply using our online application process, and please include your resume and cover letter.
About Penguin Random House
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution.
Want to learn more about Penguin Random House? Visit Penguin Random House's website.
Create the extraordinary.
Media Jobs For You
Creative, flexible part-time digital content producer needed (...
Liz Moody LLC, Remote, Work from USA