Designer (Interiors) - Random House Children's Books
Penguin Random House, New York, NY
Home of the world’s best books.
The Random House Children’s Trade Publishing group seeks a designer to join their novel interior design team. The designer will work closely with the interior art director, cover designers and editors to develop the interior design of young adult and middle grade novels. This is a unique opportunity for a highly creative and collaborative designer who has an interest in interior book design in both print and digital formats.
Check out some examples of what we do: Wonder, One of Us Is Lying, and Marcus Makes a Movie!
* Design and track interior components from concept stage to final printed book
* Follow interior workflow standards that comply with our print and e-book production processes
* Use InDesign styles to design interiors that will function in both a print and electronic setting
* Manage and prioritize numerous projects with varying timelines
* Work collaboratively and constructively with interior art director, cover designers, editors, production managers, and freelancers
* Projects range from 1-color interior designs and heavily illustrated novels to full color nonfiction and graphic novels for young adult and middle grade titles
* Regularly respond to feedback, while maintaining creative intuition
* Minimum of 3 years’ experience, preferably in a trade publishing environment
* Strong understanding of the print production process
* A passion and eye for good typography
* Expert command of Adobe Creative Suite
* Strong photo manipulation skills
* Thorough understanding of InDesign paragraph and character styles
* Meticulous attention to detail
* Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
* Proactive at meeting deadlines and organizing your work
* Experience in articulating design and conceptual decisions
* A passion for learning new design technologies and trends
* Hand-lettering skills a plus
Please submit cover letter and online portfolio with application.
About Penguin Random House
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution.
Want to learn more about Penguin Random House? Visit Penguin Random House's website.
Our cornerstone is knowledge of the home, family, food and lifestyle markets.