Editor - DK
Penguin Random House, Indianapolis, IN
Home of the world’s best books.
The influencer-led market has seen tremendous growth, and this is an exciting opportunity for a well-rounded editor to identify up-and-coming lifestyle authors. The editor will acquire and edit approximately 8 to 9 titles annually, and shepherd the books through the editorial process.
DK is a globally-focused imprint of Penguin Random House, the world’s largest general trade book publisher. Bestselling authors include Joshua Weissman, Rachel Farnsworth, Erin Stern, Barbara Costello, Erin Stern, T.J. Hoegh, Samira Kazan, and Destini Ann Davis.
* Develop and maintain author and agent relationships (scout new talent, negotiate and liaise with authors and agents);
* Consult with authors on conceptualizing the vision and execution of each book;
* Oversee all editorial aspects of book development, including manuscript development and editing;
* Establish and manage production schedule to meet deadlines;
* Hire and arrange assignments/briefings to and review all work of editorial freelancers;
* Liaise with designer to coordinate photography and illustration as needed;
* Collaborate with designers to coordinate the preparation of sales materials, and write online descriptive copy, cover copy, and other marketing copy as required;
* Prepare supplemental material as needed, including title information sheets, early reading samples and other materials as requested for the sales force;
* Present titles at sales meetings and elsewhere as required;
* Coordinate with marketing/pr team on author book announcements and preorder campaigns;
* Keep abreast of emerging influencers in the categories represented on DK’s list;
* Participate in editorial meetings;
* Handle special projects as assigned and work collaboratively with the larger team.
* 2-5 years of editorial experience working on complex, full-color books;
* 2-years acquiring experience with a proven sales record;
* Working knowledge or interest in the categories in which DK publishes;
* Direct experience taking projects for ideation to publication with a firm grasp of all aspects of book production (from developmental editing to line editing to proofreading) with a strong record of meeting deadlines;
* Extensive book-team management experience (including designers, photographers and writer-author collaborations);
* Stellar organization and prioritization skills to work on multiple projects at once;
* Strong written and verbal communication skills;
* Proficiency in creative problem solving, decision making and time management;
* An ability to build productive working relationships and a portable network of agents and author contacts from which to draw.
Please apply using our online application process, and please include your resume and cover letter.
About Penguin Random House
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution.
Want to learn more about Penguin Random House? Visit Penguin Random House's website.
We produce and distribute content through some of the world’s leading and most valued brands