Associate Production Editor - Putnam & Razorbill
Penguin Random House, New York, NY
Home of the world’s best books.
Penguin Young Readers Group is seeking an Associate Production Editor to copyedit and proofread all stages of books, from electronically copyedited manuscripts through blues. This role will focus on young adult, middle grade, graphic novel, and picture book titles. The ideal candidate is up-to-date on conversations among editors and journalists on social media and in stylebook Q&As about which style and grammar choices are being questioned and why, and is open to thoughtful dialogue with the author about copyediting choices.
Razorbill is the publisher of many bestselling series, including An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir and Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead. Putnam’s notable books include Newbery Medal winner Last Stop on Market Street by Matt de la Peña and New York Times bestsellers The Beautiful by Renée Ahdieh and Beasts of Prey by Ayana Gray. The Associate Production Editor will also assist with books in the Dial, Dutton, Kokila, and Nancy Paulsen Books imprints as needed.
Specific responsibilities include:
* Copyedit manuscripts using Track Changes in Microsoft Word and closely review manuscripts when they are returned from authors, incorporating all responses and copyediting any new text.
* Review and collate first-pass pages, evaluating and incorporating changes and corrections from proofreaders as well as from authors; this work may include additional copyediting and fact-checking, as well as following up with queries to the editor/author and notes for the designer.
* Review and correct all subsequent passes (second, third, blues) as well as material often created at later stages, such as indexes and notes.
* For picture books and graphic novels, check the art against the text through multiple design stages to ensure accuracy and consistency.
* Copyedit and review jacket stages, picture book proofs, and marketing materials.
* Fact-check text as needed.
* Prepare manuscripts for Design by styling text in Microsoft Word according to house guidelines.
* Liaise with Managing Editorial, Editorial, and Design, as well as freelance copyeditors and proofreaders.
Please apply if you meet the following requirements:
* Minimum 2 years of copyediting/proofreading/fact-checking experience in any medium; book publishing a plus
* Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Adobe Acrobat Reader, including Track Changes and other electronic editing skills
* Solid organizational skills and attention to detail
* Ability to prioritize, meeting steady turnaround needs while continuing to maintain high quality
* Familiarity with the Chicago Manual of Style
* Familiarity with current issues surrounding the use of inclusive language; experience handling manuscripts that feature multicultural topics or which require authenticity reads a plus
* Familiarity with children’s books for all age groups
* Proficiency in a foreign language is a plus
Please apply using our online application process, and please include your resume and cover letter.
About Penguin Random House
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution.
Want to learn more about Penguin Random House? Visit Penguin Random House's website.
Create the extraordinary.