Sales Manager - Chicago
Penguin Random House, New York, NY
Home of the world’s best books.
Overseeing the sales, marketing, and merchandising of adult titles from the Random House and Crown Publishing Groups and Kensington Publishing Corp., the Field Sales Manager will maintain ongoing communication regarding new and upcoming titles, backlist opportunities, and market trends between our publishers and the accounts. This role will also provide consistent feedback internally regarding the sell-in of titles and account needs.
This position will interact with a variety of independent bookstores throughout the Midwest.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
* Oversees the sales, marketing, and merchandising of assigned publishers’ books to accounts within designated territory to select indie bookstores.
* Services these same accounts in order to manage and grow their business in the most effective and productive ways.
* Communicates account and marketplace feedback to sales management and publishers.
* Implements management goals, directions, and requirements.
* Remains current on assigned publisher titles and authors, industry related trends and competitors to allow for the maximization of sales and for accurate forecasting.
* Attends regional trade shows, author signing/pre-pub events, and other industry and account - related events in the territory.
* Self-manages the territory and office: Itinerary, travel, analysis, email, sales materials, etc.
* Speaks confidently and buoyantly to and with groups of book-lovers about books and reading
* Minimum of 3 years prior retail or sales experience
* Awareness of and interest in publishing industry, including titles and authors
* Passion for reading and for talking about books
* Ability to cultivate and maintain business relationships specific to book sales
* Highly organized with the ability to prioritize multiple projects
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
* Ability to access/follow various social media accounts, authors, etc.
* Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
* Must have a valid driver’s license and be able to travel via car up to 35% of the time
* Ability to work some evenings and/or weekends
* Prior direct account management experience a plus
* Bookstore or publishing experience is a plus
* A love for cookbooks and the culinary arts a plus
* Proficiency in Edelweiss is a plus
The salary range for this position is $70,000 - $73,000. All positions are currently eligible for annual profit award or bonus, subject to company results.
About Penguin Random House
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution.