Manga Editor - Square Enix
Penguin Random House, New York, NY
Home of the world’s best books.
***Open to remote candidates***
Penguin Random House Publisher Services is seeking a Manga Editor who will be responsible for editorial production on behalf of client publisher Square Enix Manga and Books, which publishes such notable titles as Soul Eater, Final Fantasy, and NieR:Automata. The Manga Editor will execute all editorial tasks for approximately thirty books a year, working closely with freelance teams of translators, letterers, and designers. The successful candidate will possess excellent editing and writing skills, strong time-management and organizational abilities, and a passion for manga, anime, and/or video games.
* Execute all editorial duties involved in the localization and production of manga for English-language readers, including editing translation scripts and page proofs, supervising lettering and design, and reviewing printer materials and digital proofs to ensure quality, accuracy, and consistency.
* Source, assign, and schedule teams of freelance translators, letterers, rewriters, and designers to produce each work.
* Write copy for covers, frontmatter, and backmatter, and work closely with freelance designers on production of same.
* Produce title information sheets—including promotional copy, key selling points, target audiences, and BISAC categories—and other sales material as required for each seasonal list.
* Coordinate with the Managing Editor to ensure that title metadata is complete and correct.
* Prepare and submit cover and interior page drafts to Japanese licensor for approval.
* Prepare and submit final file packages to Production Manager for print book production.
* Prepare and submit final file packages to Japanese licensor for digital book production.
* Work with Senior Editor and Publisher to review title candidates for acquisition.
In addition to these responsibilities, perform other duties as assigned.
* 2+ years of book editorial experience, or translation, writing, or editing experience in an adjacent field
* Excellent English-language editing and writing skills
* Proven ability to manage time, prioritize deadlines, and balance multiple projects simultaneously
* Strong organization skills and attention to detail
* Ability to communicate clearly and interact professionally with both internal staff and external partners, frequently in a cross-cultural context
* Strong interest in anime, manga, or video games
* Proficiency at Adobe Creative Suite (specifically InDesign and Acrobat)
* Proficiency at Microsoft Office 365 Suite (specifically Word, Outlook, and Teams)
* Aptitude in written Japanese sufficient to evaluate potential titles and correct translation errors is preferred
Please apply using our online application process, and please include your resume and cover letter.
About Penguin Random House
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution.
Want to learn more about Penguin Random House? Visit Penguin Random House's website.
Create the extraordinary.