Senior Editor/Executive Editor - Random House
Penguin Random House, New York, NY
Home of the world’s best books.
Penguin Random House is currently seeking a Senior or Executive Editor with a proven record for publishing successful, high-quality non-fiction, and strong relationships with agents and authors, to join its Crown imprint. Reporting to the SVP, Publisher & Editor in Chief, the Editor will take a hands-on approach to all processes of book production from acquisition to publication. We are a highly collaborative, innovative team focused on nonfiction titles across categories such as history, biography, current events, memoir, science, and business narrative.
Crown’s award-winning and New York Times bestselling authors include President Barack Obama, Michelle Obama, Matthew Desmond, Erik Larson, Matthew McConaughey, Rebecca Skloot, Susan Cain, and Tim Snyder among others.
If you have a love for non-fiction, an established acquisitions record, and impeccable editorial skills then we’re looking for you!
* Actively solicit, acquire, evaluate, and develop nonfiction titles, including self-generated book projects.
* Build and nurture strong relationships with a wide network of agents and author contacts
* Work with writers developing and finalizing manuscripts, from substantive structural feedback to line edits
* Manage the lifecycle of the editorial process from acquisition to publication, maintaining an effective relationship with production, managing editorial/copyediting, cover and interior design, and other departments
* Oversee the preparation of title information sheet and jacket, online, and catalog copy
* Conduct and evaluate title sales research, as it relates to acquisition P&Ls
* Partner with the publicity and marketing teams on campaigns for publication
* Minimum of 5 years relevant editorial experience in book publishing or journalism, print and online news/magazines, or related media
* Demonstrates the ability to establish agency contacts within the publishing industry
* A track record of acquiring and publishing profitable and critically acclaimed books
* Excellent negotiation skills
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
* Eloquent and impactful presentation abilities
* Effective, goal-oriented team player who can cultivate productive working relationships
* Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
* Ability to work both independently and collaboratively and to be supportive of other team members as well as authors
* Proficiency in creative problem-solving, decision making, time management, and setting priorities
About Penguin Random House
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution.
Want to learn more about Penguin Random House? Visit Penguin Random House's website.
We produce and distribute content through some of the world’s leading and most valued brands