Junior Designer - Penguin Young Readers Design Group
Penguin Random House, New York, NY
Home of the world’s best books.
The Junior Designer will focus on designing interiors and adapting Hard Cover to Paperback formats for fiction and nonfiction, Middle Grade (8-12 years) and Young Adult titles. This is a fantastic opportunity to work in a highly creative environment within an innovative design department.
The Penguin Young Readers Design Group works with most imprints at Penguin Young Readers, which include Dial, Dutton, Kokila, Paulsen, Philomel, Putnam, Viking and Razorbill. Penguin Young Readers is home to many award-willing authors including Renée Ahdieh, Max Brallier, Adam Gidwitz, John Green, Amanda Gorman, Lynda Mullaly Hunt, Nina LaCour, Ransom Riggs, Aisha Saeed, Ruta Sepetys, and Jacqueline Woodson, as well as dozens of other popular authors and artists.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
* Designing interiors and working with all stages of the book design process across a wide variety of projects.
* Working collaboratively with members of the design and editorial groups.
* Making reprint changes and text corrections.
* Adapting Hard Cover titles to Paperback formats.
* Preparing press-ready files and approving proofs.
* Maintaining priorities and adhering to fast-paced production schedules and deadlines.
The ideal candidate possesses:
* Minimum of 1 year in publishing book design experience or similar industry
* Strong interest in children’s books, art, and design
* A portfolio that highlights strong typography skills
* Excellent communication skills
* Creative problem-solving skills in a wide variety of projects
* Some knowledge of pre-press, printing processes in a PDF workflow
* Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator)
* Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and to multitask and work under tight deadlines
* Strong organizational skills with attention to detail
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter, along with a link to your portfolio.
About Penguin Random House
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution.
Want to learn more about Penguin Random House? Visit Penguin Random House's website.
Create the extraordinary.