Assistant Editor - Crown, Currency, Ten Speed Press
Penguin Random House, New York, NY
Home of the world’s best books.
The Assistant Editor will be responsible for daily editorial activities, including reading and providing input on proposals and manuscripts, drafting catalog and flap copy, participating in the development of new book ideas, and researching trends and competition. In addition to providing administrative support, the assistant will liaise with authors, agents, and different departments across Penguin Random House in support of the editorial process and the release of Crown, Currency, and Ten Speed titles.
Crown and Ten Speed’s award-winning and New York Times bestselling authors include President Barack Obama, Michelle Obama, Erik Larson, Rachel Maddow, Matthew McConaughey, Rebecca Skloot, Mindy Kaling, Jimmy Chin, Rhett & Link, Marie Kondo, Rachel Ignotofsky, and Andrew Rannells, among others.
* Evaluate proposals and provide feedback to the editorial team
* Perform developmental and line edits on select projects
* Research trends and competition, including sales research on comp titles (books that may be comparable in terms of potential sales, audience, reader interest).
* Draft catalog/flap copy (the synopsis/pitch of the book) and sales sheets.
* Manage communication between authors/agents and the editorial department.
* Track and log agented submissions, payment requests, and invoices.
* Draft contract and P&L requests.
* Manage information flows between editorial and other internal departments such as production, managing editorial, art, marketing, publicity, and rights.
* Provide general administrative support, including scheduling meetings and video conferences.
* 1-2 years of experience in an editorial role
* Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills and the ability to prioritize and accurately complete multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
* A strong writer with excellent communication skills.
* Motivated, eager to learn, and resourceful, with the ability to solve problems creatively and proactively.
* Ability to follow departmental processes and keep track of deadlines.
* Attentive to current events and popular culture, with a keen eye for/interest in cultural and publishing trends.
* Interest in working on a variety of non-fiction topics including pop culture, memoir, business, popular history, and popular psychology.
* The ability to maintain a professional correspondence with celebrities, business leaders, and other high-profile authors, as well as with their agents and teams.
* A team player who can cultivate productive working relationships but also work independently when needed
* An ability to learn new applications; familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Google Docs a plus.
Please apply using our online application process, and please include your resume and cover letter.
About Penguin Random House
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution.
Want to learn more about Penguin Random House? Visit Penguin Random House's website.
Content is the cornerstone to all we do, and our audience is why we do it.