Director, Marketing, Publicity, Brand Strategy - Harmony & Rodale Books (Open to
Penguin Random House, New York, NY
Home of the world’s best books.
Harmony Books publishes top-quality nonfiction by thought leaders, distinguished authorities, credentialed experts, and important voices seeking to reshape the cultural conversation. We are proud to publish among others, Deepak Chopra, Lisa Genova, Yung Pueblo, Drs John and Julie Gottman, and Peter Attia, MD. Rodale Books is a destination for visionary and practical nonfiction that helps and inspires people to improve their lives. Yearly, we publish approximately 40-50 nonfiction books by cutting-edge experts and innovators in the fields of health and fitness, wellness, career advancement, parenting, cooking and much more, and have a robust backlist. Some of our celebrated books include Truly Simple by Kristin Cavallari, Eat Better, Feel Better by Giada De Laurentiis, The Galveston Diet by Dr. Mary Claire Haver, and Get Good with Money by Tiffany Aliche.
This role involves working closely with Publishing, Editorial, Sales, Consumer Insights, Audience Development, Advertising and Creative Operations, as well as a part of the larger Random House Integrated Marketing, Publicity and Social Media Team. The ideal candidate is solutions-focused with extensive experience working in a dynamic, hands-on, high volume department; planning and executing publicity and marketing campaigns and managing budgets; have experience with brand development and talent management; have a proven track-record of success in launching and sustaining bestsellers; and will thrive in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment. Candidates should have a deep interest in and passion for wellness, excellent communication skills and management experience, and the ability to work effectively and collaboratively in a team environment.
• Works closely with the publishing team, as well as the integrated marketing & PR team, to envision, communicate, and implement creative, data-driven, results-oriented campaigns across the list, with a specific focus on wellness.
• Have, build, and maintain strong relationships with journalists, editors, reviewers, bloggers, influencers, and media outlets in various formats, including print, online, television, and radio, in order to pitch the Harmony/Rodale lists as well as specific books in order to secure media coverage, interviews, features, reviews, and other publicity opportunities to generate awareness and excitement for authors and their works.
• Provide guidance and support to authors in preparing for media appearances, interviews, and public events. Help authors refine their messaging, develop talking points, and enhance their presentation skills.
• Organize and coordinate book signings, author tours, book launches, trade and community events. Liaise with event organizers, venues, and partners to ensure successful event planning and execution. Manage logistics, including travel arrangements, accommodations, and event budgets.
• In partnership with publishing and using analytics resources, clearly identifies potential audiences for a publication and helps positions titles to sales and in the marketplace
• Collaborates directly with publishers, sales, authors, and agents to communicate and execute marketing plans.
• Manages a team of experienced title marketers and title publicists who are responsible for 30-40 titles per year and oversees imprint marketing budget.
• Identifies potential authors for brand-building campaign work and presents ready-to-implement plans for authors, publicists, and marketers to activate.
• Contributes to acquisition proposals and author/agent calls as requested.
• Experience working in marketing, branding and public relations as well as illustrated book promotion or related media (adjacent business experience, such as magazine, television, film, etc).
• Experience with wellness culture and an understanding of the influencers, brands, partners, and brand extensions in the space.
• Experience with multi-cultural marketing a plus.
• Experience managing a team.
• A growth mindset committed to a creative and entrepreneurial approach to publishing.
• Fluency in key marketing concepts and tools, including consumer insights, sales analysis, budgeting, social media marketing, media planning, and email.
• Motivated self-starter and collaborator with proven abilities to meet deadlines, multi-task, and prioritize.
• Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, as well as experience presenting in front of large groups.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook, as well as with social media tracking and analytical tools.
The salary range for this position is $112,000 - $150,000.All positions are currently eligible for annual profit award or bonus, subject to Company results.
Please apply by August 14, 2023 at 11:59 pm EDT for consideration, and include a cover letter with your résumé.
About Penguin Random House
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution.
Want to learn more about Penguin Random House? Visit Penguin Random House's website.
Home of the world’s best books.