Senior Production Designer, Illustrated Design, Random House (Design Administration & Workflow
Penguin Random House, New York, NY
Home of the world’s best books.
The illustrated imprints of Random House are industry leaders in 4-color books, gift, & licenced products. We are home to some of the most iconic authors in the world, including Ina Garten, Toni Tipton-Martin, David Chang, Emily Henderson, Deepak Chopra, Gretchen Rubin, Rachel Held Evans, Michael Paul Turner, Netflix, and others.
The Senior Production Designer will support a busy and creative art and design department. The Senior Production Designer should be a collaborative, organized, tech savvy, problem-solver with great communication skills.
We are looking for at least 5 years of experience with production design and support of a longform design workflow. Aside from the art department, the Senior Production Designer will interface with Pre-press, Production, and Production Editorial teams, and will work on a wide variety of the 70+ books per year that we publish. The candidate should have experience with full production of a book or other print publications—from tagging Word files, building InDesign templates/style sheets, and flowing manuscripts into InDesign and working through correction cycles to the preflight process. The Senior Production Designer will also create multiple kinds of PDFs for Marketing and Publicity purposes.
* Mastery of Adobe InDesign on a Mac
* Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills, a strong attention to detail, and timely and efficient follow-up
* Proficiency in other Adobe software and Microsoft Word
* Able to work independently as well as cross-departmentally
* Able to manage and adhere to schedules
* Experience with Word tagging and workflow
* Photo retouching
* Know and improve the book design process, templates, coding, stylesheets, InDesign scripts, charts
* Assess designers’ sample pages and create clean and well-thought-out templates, style sheets, object styles, libraries, and master pages
* Create footprint dummies for photoshoots based on concept designs
* Flow manuscripts into template
* Make text corrections and design changes in collaboration with designer
* Create PDFs at every pass and upload to Box for sharing cross-departmentally
* Take over the book interior process at 2nd pass—communicating frequently with the designer
* Organize, name, relink, and release hi-res art to production
* Interface with pre-press—correctly package, upload, and organize files for them
* Ensure consistency in our files and workflows with production
* Make reprint corrections and manage reprint files
* Design and produce our catalogs (based on template) from flowing in manuscript through sending to printer
* Any other art department support
* Though production design experience in book publishing is a plus, it is not required or needed to succeed in this role—initiative, innovation, project management, attention to detail, and communication skills are key.
About Penguin Random House
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution.
Want to learn more about Penguin Random House? Visit Penguin Random House's website.
We produce and distribute content through some of the world’s leading and most valued brands