Design Assistant, Penguin Young Readers
Penguin Random House, New York, NY
Home of the world’s best books.
Penguin Workshop’s list includes picture books by Jessica Hische, Pura Belpré Honor winner Carlos Aponte, and Geisel Award–winning artists Jonathan Fenske and J. E. Morris, as well as the #1 NYT best-selling Who Was? series. Our group also publishes the imprints of Grosset & Dunlap, The World of Eric Carle, Frederick Warne, Ladybird, and Mad Libs, and we partner with top licensors on media tie-in publishing. We create about 225 books a year for every kind of reader across all formats, including board books, picture books, 8x8s, readers, activity books, illustrated chapter books, middle grade, young adult, graphic novels, and gift books.
Specific responsibilities include:
* Providing administrative support to the Art Directors and to the Design team, including processing invoices, setting up new vendors, and archiving files.
* Assisting the Design team in a design capacity with interior changes, artist and font searches, and creating PDFs.
* Managing book production of pick-ups for about 25 books of varying format a year.
* Preparing press ready files and approving proofs.
* Create and manage a seasonal Launch presentation deck.
* Making reprint changes and text corrections.
* Creating, maintaining, and strictly adhering to schedules.
* Effectively communicating with artists and agents.
* Trafficking materials for approval with multiple stakeholders.
* Remaining current on illustration, design, and publishing trends.
Please apply if you meet the following minimum requirements:
* Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator) with emphasis on InDesign
* A portfolio that shows design and typography skills
* Strong organizational skills with attention to detail
* Ability to work in a fast-paced environment is a must
* Ability to work on multiple projects with strict timelines is expected
* Great people skills and communication skills
About Penguin Random House
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution.
Want to learn more about Penguin Random House? Visit Penguin Random House's website.
Content is the cornerstone to all we do, and our audience is why we do it.