Publicist/Senior Publicist, Dutton, Plume & Tiny Reparations
Penguin Random House, New York, NY
Home of the world’s best books.
We seek a Publicist or Senior Publicist to join the Dutton, Plume, and Tiny Reparations Books Publicity team. The Dutton, Plume, and Tiny Reparations imprints at Penguin Random House are leading publishers of adult fiction and non-fiction titles by bestselling and award-winning authors such as Sean Carroll, Fiona Davis, Lisa Gardner, Hank Green, Jonathan Karl, Asha Lemmie, Trixie Mattel & Katya, Nick Offerman, Phoebe Robinson, Riley Sager, and many more.
This position will spearhead publicity campaigns for a variety of fiction and nonfiction titles across all three imprints. Our publicity team at Dutton/Plume/Tiny Rep books is highly collaborative and shares a love of reading. We strive to bring maximum media attention to our authors and their books, evolving our strategies to fit the ever-changing media and event landscape. This is an exciting opportunity to work closely with authors and the in-house publishing team on all aspects of publicity.
Dutton has a focused list of fiction and nonfiction with a vast audience—a boutique imprint within Penguin Random House—publishing 50-60 frontlist books a year from lauded bestselling franchise authors to debut novelists and luminaries in their field. Plume publishes new nonfiction voices in the genres of pop culture/lifestyle, cultural and feminist statements, and humorous gift books. Tiny Reparations Books (founded in 2020 by Phoebe Robinson) is a highly curated imprint dedicated to publishing both literary fiction and nonfiction and essay collections that highlight and amplify unique and diverse voices. Visit these links to learn more:
Tiny Reparations Books: https://www.penguin.com/tiny-reparations-overview/
* Plans and executes publicity campaigns that will maximize exposure for authors and their books.
* Pitches and secures top national and regional TV, print, radio, and online media.
* Develops and maintains close working relationships with members of the press and seeks out new media outlets.
* Executes successful virtual author events and occasional multi-city author tours, including independently overseeing travel arrangements, confirming bookstore events, pitching local media, and managing comprehensive tour schedules.
* Writes pitch letters, press releases, and other creative press materials.
* Works closely with the publicity team and authors, agents, booksellers, and key in-house departments, including editorial, marketing, sales, and subsidiary rights.
* Works closely with authors on all aspects of publicity, including briefing authors on how to handle interviews and virtual events and potentially accompanying authors to local in-person publicity engagements.
* Performs general department responsibilities and represents the imprints at various meetings, functions, and industry events.
* At least two years of experience in book publishing publicity, related media, or public relations experience
* Experience working with both fiction and nonfiction book publicity campaigns is a plus but not a requirement to succeed
* Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
* Strong written and verbal communication skills
* Strong public presentation skills
* Excellent organizational skills and strong attention to detail
* Must be a creative and strategic thinker, as well as assertive with strong pitching skills
* Proven ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
* Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program. Please apply using our online application process, and please include your resume and cover letter.
About Penguin Random House
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution.
Want to learn more about Penguin Random House? Visit Penguin Random House's website.
Create the extraordinary.