Designer - PYR
Penguin Random House, New York, NY
Home of the world’s best books.
Penguin Workshop’s list includes picture books by Jessica Hische, Pura Belpré Honor winner Carlos Aponte, and Geisel Award–winning artists Jonathan Fenske and J. E. Morris, as well as the #1 NYT best-selling Who Was? series. Our group also publishes the imprints of Grosset & Dunlap, The World of Eric Carle, Frederick Warne, Ladybird, and Mad Libs, and we partner with top licensors on media tie-in publishing. We create about 225 books a year for every kind of reader across all formats, including board books, picture books, 8x8s, readers, activity books, illustrated chapter books, middle grade, young adult, graphic novels, and gift books.
Specific responsibilities include:
* Designing and managing all stages of book production of covers and interiors, which also includes creating title treatments and interior layouts.
* Hiring and art directing illustrators.
* Preparing press ready files and approving proofs.
* Creating, maintaining, and strictly adhering to schedules.
* Effectively communicating with artists and agents.
* Trafficking materials for approval with multiple stakeholders.
* Working collaboratively with all members of the team.
* Taking care of reprints and other ancillary requests.
* Remaining current on illustration, design, and publishing trends.
Please apply if you meet the following minimum requirements:
* Minimum of 2 years of experience working in a graphic design capacity in publishing; children’s publishing strongly preferred
* A portfolio that highlights strong design and typography skills—hand-lettering and illustration skills a plus
* Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator) with emphasis on InDesign
* Ability to work in a fast-paced environment is a must
* Experience and ability to demonstrate working on multiple projects with strict timelines is expected
* Knowledge of prepress and file preparation for print design
* Strong organizational skills with attention to detail
* Sharp written communication skills
* Interest in pop culture a plus
To apply, please submit your portfolio, resume, and cover letter with salary requirements. Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program.
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire
About Penguin Random House
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution.
Want to learn more about Penguin Random House? Visit Penguin Random House's website.
Create the extraordinary.