Editorial Assistant, Hogarth
Penguin Random House, New York, NY
Home of the world’s best books.
Named in honor of Virginia and Leonard Woolf’s Hogarth Press, today’s Hogarth publishes fiction and non-fiction by authors of exceptional talent who are deeply engaged with the world, with a particular emphasis on new perspectives and boundary-pushing voices. A boutique literary imprint of Random House, our writers include such prizewinners and bestsellers as Sally Rooney, Han Kang, Anthony Marra, Anuk Arudpragasam, Sarah Manguso, Mariana Enriquez, Namwali Serpell, and Fatima Farheen Mirza. Forthcoming publications include new books by Sarah Broom, Kiran Desai, Javier Zamora, and Angie Kim.
Daily responsibilities include all-around project support for both editors and deep involvement in all stages of the publishing process. The position acts as a liaison between authors, agents, and different departments within Penguin Random House. The candidate will read submissions alongside the editors, attend editorial and author meetings, draft marketing copy, and ensure Hogarth’s books are on schedule as they make their way toward publication. Other responsibilities include tracking the imprint’s important deadlines, transmitting manuscripts, routing contract requests, following up on requests from our publishing departments, and generally being the administrative go-to person for Hogarth.
We are looking for a detail-oriented, meticulous self-starter with a proven passion for literary fiction and non-fiction, and who cares deeply about literature and the literary world. The ideal candidate will manage a diverse set of responsibilities efficiently and effectively, with open and easy communication and in collaboration with our team.
* Assist in all stages of book publication, from acquisition to the on-sale date and beyond, via the editing, copyediting, design, production processes, and liaising with our sales and marketing departments.
* Evaluate manuscripts in conjunction with supervisors and write reader reports.
* Communicate with authors, literary agents, and internal departments to coordinate and keep track of the publication process from finished manuscript to bound book (including trafficking of edited and copyedited manuscripts, galley copy, cover copy, and cover mechanicals).
* Draft promotional copy including TIs, online retail copy, and flap copy for supervisor’s approval.
* Help with campaigns for endorsement quotes on various titles, including trafficking mailings (electronic and print), and drafting pitch letters.
* Prepare and process forms related to all parts of the publishing process, including P&L statements and contract information sheets for acquisitions, and carrying out contract requests.
* Provide general administrative support including: scheduling and preparing for department meetings; managing expense reports; ordering comp copies for all authors at publication; and handling galley and finished book mailings.
* Assist with the imprint’s social media campaigns.
* Exceptional attention to detail, the ability to prioritize, and strong follow-up skills
* Excellent organizational skills and ability to multitask
* Strong communication skills
* A team player with the ability to build internal & external relationships with departments, authors, and stakeholders. A collaborative spirit is essential.
* Ability to work both independently and collaboratively and meet deadlines, take initiative and problem-solve creatively
* Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
* An avid reader who keeps up with reading trends and has a strong interest in literary publishing
* Excellent writing skills, especially in emailing with authors and agents, drafting marketing copy
* Solutions-focused when met with challenges and can comfortably adapt to changes and anticipate needs when needed and once familiar with the role of an Editorial Assistant
* Social media experience, particularly Instagram
* Some prior experience in the literary world, whether at a book publisher, a literary agency, a magazine or journal, a bookstore, a library, or other related organization.
About Penguin Random House
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution.
Want to learn more about Penguin Random House? Visit Penguin Random House's website.
We produce and distribute content through some of the world’s leading and most valued brands