Associate Director, Design - Square Enix (Manga & Video Game Books)
Penguin Random House, New York, NY
Home of the world’s best books.
Penguin Random House Publisher Services is seeking an Associate Director, Design who will be responsible for the overall visual development and presentation of the Square Enix Manga and Books list, which publishes such notable properties such as Final Fantasy, Soul Eater, and NieR:Automata. The Associate Director, Design is responsible for overseeing all stages of cover and interior design for a wide variety of book formats including manga, art books, novels, and specialty products. The ideal candidate will bring a critical eye for design, an autonomous and organized workflow, strong communication skills, as well as the ability to effectively work with in-house staff and manage freelance designers.
* Design 15-20 titles per year (8-10 per list); components vary per title but may include covers, jackets, preprinted casewraps, interior page layouts, cover inserts, and miscellaneous items
* Conduct constant assessment of design-related workflows and make recommendations to improve efficiency and productivity
* Take ownership of the overall design direction of the imprint, working closely with the Publishing Director and Editors on concept development and execution
* Source, hire, and direct freelance designers to execute cover and interior designs, working with the Managing Editor to ensure on-time delivery of design projects
* Create InDesign templates, style sheets, and master pages to provide to freelance designers and compositors
* Create title logos and branding
* Typeset text and makes corrections and changes as needed through all proofing stages
* Prepare materials for licensor approval and adapts designs based on licensor feedback
* Prepare cover and jacket mechanicals, and packages files for printer
* Collaborate with Production Managers on color review and correction of prepress files and printer proofs
* Track, project manage, and prioritize multiple titles from initial concept through final publication
In addition to these responsibilities, performs other activities as assigned.
* 6+ years of design experience at a book or comics publishing company
* Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Acrobat)
* Strong typography skills and creative aesthetic
* Experience with book/multiple page layout and design
* Experience with 4-color proofing, and a general understanding of prepress and production conventions for 1-color, 2-color, and 4-color printing
* Ability to generate unique and compelling designs while managing the requirements of editors, licensors, and other stakeholders
* Ability to manage time, prioritize deadlines, and balance multiple projects simultaneously
* Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
* Ability to work on all types of graphic novel content, including works featuring violence and sexually explicit material
* Interest in anime, manga, or video games a plus
* Experience in working with licensed publishing or product design a plus
To apply, please submit your resume, portfolio, and cover letter with salary requirements.
About Penguin Random House
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution.
Want to learn more about Penguin Random House? Visit Penguin Random House's website.
Create the extraordinary.