Designer, Penguin Young Readers
Penguin Random House, New York, NY
Home of the world’s best books.
Viking Children’s Books and Philomel Books, imprints in the Penguin Young Readers division, are searching for a Designer to join their 7-person Art Team.
Our crew has the privilege to work on books that are innovative, witty, dedicated to quality and whose aim is to enlighten, inspire and empower young readers. Contemporary books such as Change Sings, the She Persisted series, Last Kids on Earth, the Llama Llama series, Alex Rider, and The Day the Crayons Quit as well as classics such as Corduroy, Madeline, Redwall, and Owl Moon.
What we love about our design group is the collaborative atmosphere, good humor and conviction to make the best package possible for our audience. The Designer will immediately hit the ground running taking ownership of their own titles as well as collaborating on several New York Times best-selling series as well. This person would be working with illustrators to take a project from manuscript to completion for picture books, graphic novels, and illustrated middle-grade and interior design for middle-grade and YA. This position has room for great career growth potential. If this job sounds like a good fit for you, please apply and share your reasons why in your cover letter. We look forward to hearing from you! Please note: this role does not focus on designing YA covers.
We are looking for a Designer with an ability to design with an inclusive mindset which considers the full range of human diversity with respect to ability, language, culture, gender, age, and other forms of human experience.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
* Working with the Art Director, with all aspects of book making, including but not limited to layout, text edits, proofing, routing, and developing typographic solutions
* Designing 10-15 books a year including full (jacket, interior) picture books, board books, graphic novels as well as layout for middle grade and young adult interiors (compositor experience a plus) and occasional middle grade & young adult covers. Interest & experience with graphic novels a plus
* Finding and pitching new artists
* Taking part in team meetings with the Editors and Art Director to brainstorm, review layouts, problem-solve, and strategize, as well as one-on-one meetings with the Art Director to review passes and send art notes to authors and illustrators
* Participating in Submissions meetings by reading/reviewing manuscripts/dummies for potential acquisition
* Working collaboratively with editorial, managing editorial, copyediting, and production
* Communicating clearly with artists and agents
* Meeting print deadlines
* Familiarity with color profiles, color correction and packaging print-ready files for printers
* A deep interest in children's books and the craft of book making
* 3-5 years of experience in book publishing design
* Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Acrobat, and Illustrator)
* A passion for working with artists (commercial to fine artists and everyone in between)
* A portfolio that showcases inventive design, typography and/or hand-lettering skills
* Strong interpersonal / communication skills and a desire to work and learn collaboratively
* Experience with PDF workflow and pre-press production
* An organized and flexible approach to work
* Consistent follow-up and follow-through with the ability to time-manage and prioritize a multitude of tasks
Please apply using our online application process, and please include your resume and cover letter.
About Penguin Random House
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution.
Want to learn more about Penguin Random House? Visit Penguin Random House's website.
Content is the cornerstone to all we do, and our audience is why we do it.