Young Adult Art Director - Random House Children's Books
Penguin Random House, New York, NY
Home of the world’s best books.
***Please note the job may require some commuting into NYC, for meeting purposes
Random House Children’s Books is seeking to hire an Art Director to join our dedicated and fast-paced art department. The Art Director will manage a team of designers and oversee a growing list of Young Adult jackets for the Delacorte Press, Joy Revolution, Knopf, Make Me a World, Random House, and Labyrinth Road imprints. Titles include a wide range of genres, including contemporary romance, fantasy, horror, nonfiction, thrillers, and historical fiction.
The Random House Children’s Books diverse list of YA titles and authors include countless New York Times best-sellers, such as One of Us Is Lying by Karen McManus, We Were Liars by E. Lockhart, American Royals by Katharine McGee, The Agathas by Kathleen Glasgow, The Gilded Ones by Namia Forna, Six Crimson Cranes by Elizabeth Lim, A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder by Holly Jackson, Dear Martin by Nic Stone, and The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon, among many others.
* Work collaboratively with publishers and support designers in developing YA packaging that supports the company’s objectives.
* Lead and oversee growth and development of 4-person YA design team.
* Oversee all phases of YA jacket design for approximately 25–30 titles per season (3 seasons per year) while managing the design team and maintaining their own list of projects.
* Research and pitch new artists with the ability to present appropriate concepts and art samples to art/editorial meetings.
* Make offers and negotiate terms for illustration contracts while staying within budget range.
* Work closely with illustrators from initial sketch development, revisions, and final art for YA book jackets, in addition to coaching team of designers to do the same.
* Responsible for the effective, high-quality design of titles from concept to final art using creativity, resourcefulness, and understanding of goals.
* Prepare jacket and case mechanicals for routing, approvals, and release to production per printing standards, with attention to detail, and in a timely manner to maintain schedules and meet deadlines.
* Create digital sales material for own projects, and oversee completion of team’s sales materials.
* Communicate in an effective, professional, and courteous manner with supervisor, team, other departments, and outside agencies.
* Attend and participate in production meetings, cover meetings, team meetings, and meetings with supervisor and editors for specific projects.
* Participate in ongoing DEI initiatives across the company, including corporate training and guiding internal DEI discussions.
* 7–10 years in a children’s book design publishing position with a particular skill for Young Adult design and people management
* Strong Mac computer skills and technical knowledge, including a mastery of current InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator programs
* Strong organizational skills and attention to detail, quality, and process
* Ability to prioritize and multi-task whilst managing time efficiently
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
* Hardworking, self-starting, collaborative, and able to work independently
* Genuine passion and knowledge for YA design, illustration, and typography
* Knowledge of YA bestsellers, trends, freelance designers, and illustrators
Please apply using our online application process, and please include your resume and cover letter.
About Penguin Random House
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution.
Want to learn more about Penguin Random House? Visit Penguin Random House's website.
We give readers what they want, before they want it.