Penguin Random House, Westminster, MD
Home of the world’s best books.
* Shares ideas and implements solutions for improving infrastructure and software through automation, monitoring, performance tuning, health monitoring, and tool creation
* Implements highly available, secure, scalable, and self-healing systems
* Works closely with development teams to provide fully automated delivery pipelines through development, test, and production
* Documents standard processes for system deployment, maintenance, and alert management
* Assist development teams with infrastructure design as needed
* Evaluate and advise on system and application architectures
* Assist in supporting standardized tools and best practices for deployment processes
* Collaborate with information security team on mitigation efforts
* Investigate, troubleshoot, and triage production problems as they occur
* Contributes directly to the planning and execution of the next iteration of core services
* Support existing legacy applications until they can be re-engineered
* Participates in an active on-call rotation
* Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent practical experience
* Experienced with creating and troubleshooting automated deployment pipelines
* Proficient with containerization technologies such as Docker, ECS, Kubernetes
* Skilled in automating cloud deployments via Cloud Formation or Terraform
* Experience with AWS such as: EC2, SQS, Lambda, RDS, ECS, ELB, S3, API Gateway
* Good understanding of load balancing and networking
* Well-versed in GIT usage and software engineering best practices
* Strong Unix/Linux proficiency
* Web application development experience (Java, PHP, Python, etc.)
* Familiarity with configuration management tools (i.e. Chef, Puppet, Ansible, or Saltstack)
* The ability to work independently as well as perform as part of a scrum team
* Ability to learn and apply new technologies quickly
Additional Desired Qualifications:
* Strong oral/written communication skills
* Systems automation experience with Java is a plus (Maven, Ant)
* Understanding of object-oriented software and design patterns
* Experience with modern front-end technologies such as SCSS, Bower, NPM, Webpack, Aurelia/React/Angular
* Familiarity with monitoring and logging tools
* Experience supporting LAMP & LEMP stacks for web content delivery
* Experience supporting various CMS platforms (Wordpress)
To learn more about our IT Department and their initiatives, visit our Tech Talent site.
About Penguin Random House
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution.
Want to learn more about Penguin Random House? Visit Penguin Random House's website.
Create the extraordinary.