Square Enix Book Editor
Penguin Random House, New York, NY
Home of the world’s best books.
Penguin Random House Publisher Services is seeking a Book Editor who will be responsible for editorial production on behalf of client publisher Square Enix Manga and Books, which publishes such notable titles as Soul Eater, Final Fantasy, and NieR:Automata. The Editor will execute all editorial tasks for approximately twenty books a year, with a specialization in video game tie-in titles. The successful candidate will possess excellent editing and writing skills, strong time-management and organizational abilities, and a passion for Japanese video games and manga.
* Execute all editorial duties involved in the localization and production of books and manga for English-language readers, including editing manuscripts and page proofs, guiding interior page design and typesetting, and reviewing printer materials and digital proofs to ensure quality, accuracy, and consistency.
* Ensure that all book and promotional content conforms to style sheets, glossaries, and/or branding guides on an individual property basis.
* Source, assign, and schedule teams of translators, writers, and other freelance roles as needed to produce each work.
* Work with the Assoc. Design Director and freelance designers on the creation of jackets, covers, interior pages, and all other book components.
* Manage individual title schedules to keep projects on track and meet both internal and external deadlines.
* Produce sales and promotional copy, including jacket and cover text, title information sheets, interior page samples, and other sales collateral as required for each seasonal list.
* Coordinate with the Managing Editor to ensure that title metadata and materials for cataloging-in-publication applications are complete and correct.
* Prepare and submit material drafts to Japanese licensor for approval, and address any licensor requirements or concerns.
* Work with Production staff to prepare and submit final files for print book production.
* Prepare and submit final files to Japanese licensor for digital book production.
* Work with Publishing Director to review title candidates for acquisition.
In addition to these responsibilities, perform other duties as assigned.
* 3+ years of book editorial experience, or translation, writing, or editing experience in an adjacent field
* Excellent English-language editing and writing skills
* Japanese-language skills sufficient to evaluate translations for accuracy and consistency
* Meticulous attention to detail and robust organizational abilities
* Proven ability to manage time, prioritize deadlines, and balance multiple projects simultaneously
* Ability to communicate clearly and interact professionally with both internal staff and external partners, frequently in a cross-cultural context
* Strong interest in video games and manga
* Proficiency at Adobe Creative Suite (specifically InDesign and Acrobat)
* Proficiency at Microsoft Office 365 Suite (specifically Word, Outlook, and Teams)
About Penguin Random House
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution.
Want to learn more about Penguin Random House? Visit Penguin Random House's website.
Connectors. Creators. Experience Makers.