Associate Editor/Editor, Knopf Children's Books
Penguin Random House, New York, NY
Home of the world’s best books.
Knopf has a list of 75 frontlist books a year, from bestselling and award-winning authors to debut writers and illustrators. We are dedicated to publishing stories that make kids laugh, feel, adventure, and learn. Our illustrated list includes books such We’re All Wonders by R.J. Palacio; Swimmy by Leo Lionni; How to Babysit a Grandma by Jean Reagan and Lee Wildish; Of Thee I Sing by President Barack Obama and Loren Long; All Are Neighbors by Alexandra Penfold and Suzanne Kaufman; Blue by Nana Brew-Hammond and Daniel Minter; The Blur by Minh Lê and Dan Santat; Tar Beach by Faith Ringgold; Cardboard Kingdom by Chad Sell, Lunch Lady by Jarrett J. Krosoczka.
* Acquire and edit approximately 6-10 new books per year, with a focus on picture books.
* Responsible for all editorial aspects of book development, including manuscript development and editing; liaising with art director to sign up and work with illustrators; copywriting including jacket, metadata, and other marketing copy as required.
* Develop and maintain author and agent relationships (attend writers’ conferences, scout new talent, liaise with authors and agents).
* Assist in the creative tending and extending of our backlist.
* Negotiate acquisitions with agents and authors.
* Maintain publishing/production schedules and meet deadlines.
* Participate in editorial meetings.
* Present titles at sales meetings and elsewhere as required.
* Represent imprint at industry conventions.
* Keep abreast of the field at large (read trade journals and competitors' books; be aware of trends in publishing and children’s media so as to keep list up-to-date with the marketplace’s needs and demands).
* Minimum of 3 years of picture book editing experience to be considered at the Associate Editor level; minimum of 5 years to be considered at the Editor level
* Ability to think creatively and work as a team to create a well-rounded list
* Excellent writing and copywriting skills
* Strong interpersonal skills
* Strong attention to detail
* Proficiency in Microsoft Office
Please submit a cover letter and resume to be considered for this opening. We are a smart and supportive team energized about putting engaging books that reflect our world in the hands of readers everywhere. We’d love to welcome an enthusiastic, entrepreneurial new member!
About Penguin Random House
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution.
Want to learn more about Penguin Random House? Visit Penguin Random House's website.
We produce and distribute content through some of the world’s leading and most valued brands